Mlf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
Thinking of trying an MLF this year but not really sure if it is necessary. It seems that many of the post coinnoculate. Ho you just assume every wine needs MLF? What determines the need for MLF? If I do decide to coinnoculate, how do I know it's working and when it is done?

Forgot to mention, I only make full bodied dry reds

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure almost all big reds get put thru MLF commercially. Inoculating after fermentation is the standard. But recent research shows co inoculation (added after lag phase of yeast and visible activity is seen) to help with MLF finishing in less time.
There's visible signs of activity of bubbles rising sometimes but also may not be visible and still working. The only way to know for sure is the check along way with either chromatography test kit (most popular) or MLF test strips.
There's tons of info out there. This manual touches on just about everything. MLF is after the 1st racking in this .pdf. And also more in depth towards the end. http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf

Almost all commercial dry red wines have been put through Mlf. I can't speak much to coinoculate, I always add mine post. But either way you test the same way for completion, either paper chromatography or by test strips for malic acid. Why do it at all? Concerts the greenapple malic acid to the softer lactic acid and prevent it from happening later in your bottles.

Wow that pdf gets really specific. MLF doesn't seem as easy as some folks claim it is. There seems to be a lot of variables - what strain of yeast, alcohol %, PH, SO2, Nutrients, temperature.

I can't imagine that my grandfather thought of MLF when making his wine.

I can't imagine that my grandfather thought of MLF when making his wine.

Probably not, but it probably happened anyway. With no intervention, I think typically the AF occurred in the fall, then the MLF occurred once it warmed up the following spring. I don't think it was until the 1950s when the process was really understood.

I usually buy pasteurized juice (ie. Festa). Will MLF happen in a pasteurized juice?

Latest posts

Back