Mlf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_M

All things wine!
Reaction score
I started ML on Sunday 9/27/15 I have a total of 24 gallons inoculated. All but one 5 gallon carboy is showing any kind of activity, this is also the one carboy that was cloudy and not settling out as quickly as the others. I carried over a bit too much of the lees.
Now I know ML really doesn't show much if any activity but comparing it to the others it is showing zip. Rather than purchasing another packet of ML would combing a portion from one carboy over maybe move things along?
What would be possible downsides of this?
Otherwise I just let it be.

Thanks

Steve

You are right that MLF won't show much or any activity. I would let it be. If you are really worried, though, you can add more MLB - there's no such thing as too much for that. So it wouldn't hurt to add more, but you're probably OK.

Heather thanks for the input. Now I just realized I also never added dose of Opti Malo Plus! Too lat at this point to add?

Steve

I always add Micro Essentials with an MLF. Heather is right, you're probably ok. Yes you can add wine with an active ML into another carboy. I highly recommend getting a chromatography kit so you can test your wine.

I have a chromatography kit. Should I add Opti Malo one week after inoculation

Stefe

Make sure you are keeping the wine at the correct temp and run your chromatography in a few weeks. You should see some activity there. You don't always get noticeable activity with mlf.

Latest posts

Back