MLF working - how does it show?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obelix

Reaction score
Hi guys,

With the primary going, I'm preparing for a sequential MLF (will add V41 int the tank once the primary has completed).
The first batch ever, so grossly inexperienced :)

I won't have any equpment to test the levels of components, so the progress will need to be tracked "mechanically".

If you could help me with an advice on:
  • What's the indication the MLF is atually going?
  • Does it produce gas like the primary? Or is it a quiet fermentation?
  • Is the syphon/airlock required, or can the MLF fermentation be completed in a locked container?
Looking forward to your advice

Last edited:
First youd want to get the wine off the gross lees if you haven’t already. Another rack 1-3 days after pressing. Then the malo.
Without testing equipment and a tank you wouldn’t know even if there was visual activity. And no way to know if bubbling in airlock is MLF or co2 releasing either.
Many times tests show progress to completion with no visual activity as well so no worries. Typically you could see tiny bubbles floating up the sides if it was in glass. And perhaps airlock activity. But visuals aren’t a guarantee.
Keep it at or above room temp, stir up the light lees into suspension 1-2x a week. (Some nutrients in the lees plus the malo can get buried). You could also add the nutrient opti-malo to help. (Or do none of that and still have successful MLF btw- but why take a chance?)
And then by maybe mid-may rack it and stabilize with sulfites and put her to bed.

One more suggestion- check ph
I realize this is your 1st batch **(which is one hell of a 1st batch btw! I for one am very impressed by all the legwork and research you’ve done. It’s a lot to take in all at once. Kudos)**
But even a general idea would be helpful. You invested quite a bit already so something as simple as a jar of 100 ph test strips for wine would be better than nothing. Maybe around $10 USd.
Not sure if you’ve seen the morewine manual- but this thing is my bible. And refer to it often at all different stages. Very detailed pdf for making red wine that not only says what to do- but also ‘why’ you do it. http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf

Thanks a lot for this response - and appreciate very much your support :)
It's been a bit too much, true, but learning heaps, and gaining confidence. Will know better next year. Depending on the outcomes of this year batch, may go for co-inoculation next year to skip the headache.

All my tanks are stainless steel - no way to see bubbles.
Will just go by time, and leave it alone until mid-May then rack into the beer kegs and add the appropriate amount of sulphites for longer keeping.

You actually responded to another question I'm yet to sort out - about the sequence.
Out of appx 280 litres of must I'll press, there will be somewhere between 170-180L of liquid to go into 200L Variable Capacity Tank (VCT).
The primary is likely to continue for a little while (a few weeks maybe).

Then raking - a problem - I have 3 beerkegs @ 50L each - 180L won't fit into 150L. Obviously need another one, or a demijon.
Or just reuse the vat - then clean up the VCT and return the liquid - what do you think?
What worries me is the exposure to oxigen - and I don't wish to add any metabisulphite before the MLF

And yes, I realised I may need to read the ph often so just ordered a digital ph meter - $12 - wonder if that will even work at that price, but...we'll see.

Meters probably fine. Whether $12 or $120 they just need to be taken care of properly. Something I learned the hard way. The probe needs to stay moist even in storage. And calibrate with the buffer solutions. http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wphmeter.pdf
Mid May is just a 3 month estimate when not testing. I only learned about MLF last year so please double check before making any decisions.
If mine id keep it in the tank and do the 2 step racking. Hopefully someone can help regarding the best way to temporarily hold 180L of freshly fermented Syrah.

Learning a lot of lessons - for example - don't make more wine tha you can rack :)
Started reading throuhg the "wine bible" - you provided above.
I like it very much. Provides a lot of answers, good advice and some new ideas. Thanks a lot for that.

I may MLF three beerkegs, and leave the rest in the VCT, that is, rake it to a temporary storage, then return and add sulphite to stop the MLF completely from starting - then later compare the taste of MLF-ed vs non MLF-ed wine.

Back