MLF w/ Added Malic Acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen

Reaction score
I was thinking about maple wines and meads today, of which maple syrup is very low in acid to the point where you need to add acid to achieve a proper PH, and wondered how well MLF would work with added malic acid. Specifically, would MLF with artificial malic acid produce the buttery flavors associated with MLF?

Hmmmmm ... I think an experiment might be in order.

I recall reading that MLF works only on natural malic acid, but can't recall where I read it -- OR if I'm remembering correctly. Might be worth researching.
We will see ... in a few months.

I just ordered some malic acid and plan on doing a few half gallon runs of maple wine using different combinations of malic and tartatic acid to bring the ph down.

Another thing to consider is that, if left too long, the LAB will begin metabolize the diacetyl

Correct, synthetic malic acid (technically called D-malic acid) cannot be metabolized by lactic acid bacteria (LAB). LAB metabolize naturally occurring malic acid, or L-malic acid. Malic acid in wine kits is L-malic. LAB is kept in check with relatively high levels of SO2.

Did you mean that bolded part? I would have thought you meant to type "D-malic."

My guess is that the malic in kits is a 50-50 mixture (called a "racemic mixture") of D- and L-malic. If I am correct, the MLB would be able to metabolize half of the synthetic malic.

Did you mean that bolded part? I would have thought you meant to type "D-malic."

My guess is that the malic in kits is a 50-50 mixture (called a "racemic mixture") of D- and L-malic. If I am correct, the MLB would be able to metabolize half of the synthetic malic.

I did mean to type D-Malic. Really funny thing is nobody (myself included) noticed it for about a month and now I can't edit it. I believe I read somewhere that the acid is more like 75% D-Malic, but I didn't go look that back up, it's just my memory and god knows the squirrels running around in there might be messing with it again.

Latest posts

Back