Quantcast

MLF progress...

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Siwash

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2014
Messages
304
Reaction score
27
So I began my very first MLF on Oct 13. I was hopeful as I noticed tiny bubbles throughout the last few weeks. I added oak staves to each vessel too to help that along and impart flavor.

I tested about 10 or 12 days into it with Accivin Malic Acid test kit. The strip reading was 160 at about 10 days in (mg/l?) - I tested it last night and the reading was 15. So clearly the wine went through an MLF - i think!

Anyhow, it seems like 4 weeks was enough.. or was it? the included instructions states that once the reading hits 30 MLF is complete. Should I rely on this? Are these test strip readings accurate? Wine tastes okay if not raw and very young of course...Not as oaky as I'd like though...

My gut is telling me to leave it alone for another 2 weeks... so 6 weeks in total. Should I continue to heat my cellar? It's been at 70ish degrees for the past 4 and I've used a heater to maintain that temp.

What should I do next? Wait and leave it warm in there? Then do my So2 and PH test in 2 weeks when I rack?

Thoughts? Thanks!
 

Johnd

Senior Member
WMT Supporter
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
6,652
Reaction score
6,607
Location
South Louisiana
So I began my very first MLF on Oct 13. I was hopeful as I noticed tiny bubbles throughout the last few weeks. I added oak staves to each vessel too to help that along and impart flavor.

I tested about 10 or 12 days into it with Accivin Malic Acid test kit. The strip reading was 160 at about 10 days in (mg/l?) - I tested it last night and the reading was 15. So clearly the wine went through an MLF - i think!

Anyhow, it seems like 4 weeks was enough.. or was it? the included instructions states that once the reading hits 30 MLF is complete. Should I rely on this? Are these test strip readings accurate? Wine tastes okay if not raw and very young of course...Not as oaky as I'd like though...

My gut is telling me to leave it alone for another 2 weeks... so 6 weeks in total. Should I continue to heat my cellar? It's been at 70ish degrees for the past 4 and I've used a heater to maintain that temp.

What should I do next? Wait and leave it warm in there? Then do my So2 and PH test in 2 weeks when I rack?

Thoughts? Thanks!
I believe the strips to be accurate and would give it another couple weeks, sulfite it, and continue your process.
 

ceeaton

Fifth year
Joined
Feb 15, 2015
Messages
5,101
Reaction score
5,257
Location
Southern PA
+1 to what @Johnd says. It got done pretty quickly so it won't hurt to not Kmeta for a couple of more weeks. The worry is when it stretches out for a few more months and our minds start playing tricks on us thinking we'll get more vinegar than what we know what to do with... If it is bothering you, go ahead and Kmeta it now. I usually use a chromatography type test, which only measures down to 30 ppm., so letting it go for a few more weeks is standard procedure. Looks like your test goes much lower, if it is truly 15 ppm, your good to go.
 
Last edited:

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
4,138
Reaction score
3,440
Location
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
My view is wait just a bit more. As noted above you are about a month in. Give it at least two more weeks, just to be sure you are done. I pitched mine at about the same time and will probably do my first test after the first of Dec. Then wait two more weeks, maybe a month.
 

Latest posts

Top