MLF on apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winewit

Junior
Reaction score
I have been making wine for less than one year. I have some apple wine that has been in the carboy for about 7 months. The acid level when I made the batch was about 0.6%, now its about 1.0%. (I don't know why the acid on my wines keep going up. It has happen 3 times)

I want to lower the acid, I could add pot. carbonate, but I don't want to wait until next winter to cold stablize it.

My question is, would you recomend MLF on apple wine? The SO2 is about 50 ppm and I have already stablized it with pot. sorbate.

Any help please.

MLF would bring down the Malic acid that is present in the apples. Now you just have to manage he PH level - as the acidity lowers - the PH will rise.

You can also dilute with water or increase your batch. I also think the addition of sorbate will hinder the MLF - might cause off smells.

I am sure there are others that have more experience with this that can chime in.

MLF would bring down the Malic acid that is present in the apples. Now you just have to manage he PH level - as the acidity lowers - the PH will rise.

You can also dilute with water or increase your batch. I also think the addition of sorbate will hinder the MLF - might cause off smells.

I am sure there are others that have more experience with this that can chime in.

Another approach would be to use a yeast like 71B that consumes malic during ferment. Then adjust back up later. Malic is a weaker acid than tartaric, so pH should be manageable while keeping TA within reason.

I agree wit Bob to use 71B on apple and Blackberry. before doing MLF check malic with a test. If you have sulfited it then you better check what S02 level it is at and ask someone what levels the MLF culture is good to as sulfite levels can mean the difference between it fermenting or not.

Is 71B a yeast fermenter or malic acid fermenter? Who makes it? I've never heard of it, but I'm kind of new to this wine making.

I'll use that on my next apple batch, this ones done fermenting. Looks like it's wait till next winter unless I can find a second hand fridge. Been wanting a beer fridge anyway.

Latest posts

Back