MLF not starting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffMcG

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three wines, one Chardonnay and two Pinot noir, that ended primary fermentation about 6 weeks ago. I did a tlc malolactic test today and found that the that pinots have completed mlf but the Chardy hasn't started.
I added vp41 bacteria near the end of primary.
Is it likely the Chardonnay will go through mlf sometime down the track?
Is there something I can do to help it start?

What are your temp, pH, and ABV on the Chardonnay? VP41 has pretty good tolerances on all three, but it could be a combination of them that is keeping it at bay.

Misery, loves company, when I saw thread title I thought 'story of my life...'

I'm finding checking everything with vinmetric and getting my numbers in line helps a lot....still not getting all to complete but batting like 650...

Are these wines from Chilean Juice or Grapes? Several folks have had problems getting some of those to undergo Malolactic Fermentation. The theory being that extra SO2 was added at some point, probably not by you.

I had 4 separate batches of wine this spring two with all grapes that MLF is going great and About finished and two South African pails that did not start MLF. I believe they added to much SO2 as I did not add any to the pails. I also transferred about a half gallon of wine that was almost complete with MLF with each pail with no success. I ordered VP41 to try again but I think I will probably just put it in the freezer for the fall. I also used CH16 on all 4 batches.

Thanks for your responses.
I'm making the wine from grapes there I grew. I doubt that the SO2 is the issue, it is well below the 30ppm tolerance for the vp41.
pH is 3.2, temp is 18C (64F) and ABV about 12.8.
I innoculated the Chardonnay about 2 weeks after the Pinot noir using the remaining bacteria from the same sachet. In between keep it in the fridge.
is it possible the bacteria was no longer viable?

I wouldn't expect the bacteria to be dead that quickly. But your temp is a little low and pH is on the low end for VP41's tolerance. Could be a combo of the two that's causing your issue. You might try warming it up to about 70F.

Latest posts

Back