MLF mess up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakervinyard

Reaction score
Question, I accidently stopped MLF on the wrong wine. I added 1/8 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite to the wrong wine. I had 2 juice pails going through MLF. 1 was complete tested at 30mg/l, but racked the wrong carboy that was only at 75mg/l. Will it be ok, can I go ahead and add my super-kleer, then proceed. Also can I add an F-Pack to my liking? Thanks, Bakervinyard

bakervinyard said:
Question, I accidently stopped MLF on the wrong wine. I added 1/8 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite to the wrong wine. I had 2 juice pails going through MLF. 1 was complete tested at 30mg/l, but racked the wrong carboy that was only at 75mg/l. Will it be ok, can I go ahead and add my super-kleer, then proceed. Also can I add an F-Pack to my liking? Thanks, Bakervinyard

You cannot sweeten a MLFed wine because you can't add sorbate to it to prevent renewed fermentation.

The sorbate will react creating off flavored.

I don't think mentioned sorbate, just meta.
You can rack a wine that is going through MLF from what I was told, it shouldn't stop it.

Pumpkinman said:
I don't think mentioned sorbate, just meta.
You can rack a wine that is going through MLF from what I was told, it shouldn't stop it.

True, but he mentioned adding an F pack to taste. The only way to do this and prevent fermentation is to add sorbate, can't do that for a wine that has gone through MLF.

Novalou, Haven't added f-pack to this wine. Correct me if i'm wrong. Just adding meta didn't stop MLF. I can just let it finish?

bakervinyard said:
Novalou, Haven't added f-pack to this wine. Correct me if i'm wrong. Just adding meta didn't stop MLF. I can just let it finish?

MLF should finish.

Generally you want the fine lees for food for the mlb to feed upoun plus the extra S02 will inhibit it even further. If you want it to continue, add a bit of nutrient and give it a stir. It may start again in ernest when S02 levels drop a bit and you could let it finish. The one that finished you could clear, sulfite and bottle or if you want more flavor add just a flavoring pack. Don't try to stabilize with sorbate and sweeten as the others mentioned. If any of the mlb remains alive, they consume the sorbate and turn it into stuff you don't want to put it in very simple terms.

Adding Sorbate wasn't suggested , this was the point that novalou trying to get at.

Adding Sorbate wasn't suggested , this was the point that novalou trying to get at.

Yes that is my point to him. It would be ok to just add something to flavor it with, but unless sorbate was added it wouldn't be safe to add an f-pack with concentrated juice. And you don't want to add sorbate since it has gone through at least a partial mlf. So basically he has very limited options at this point.

Grapeman, I'll add a nutrient put the brew belt back on and see if I can get it going again. Thanks everyone for your help. Bakervinyard

Latest posts

Back