MLF indicators...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
I think my MLF is underway as I am seeing tiny bubbles form near the air locks where my wine level is topped off. It has been 12 days since I inoculated and about 6 since I added oak staves...

is this an indicator?

That is about the only visual indicator. It could just be that your wine is degassing, but I'd still take it as a positive sign.

got it around 68 to 70 in there... hope it's warm enough

That's about what mine have been in the Fall, maybe 72*F in the Spring, if May is warm in any particular year.

BTW, stir it occasionally, maybe once or twice a week (without being too rough). Seems to really help it move along.

Not to threadjack, but here is a related question.

How does chromatography compare to something like an Accu-vin kit for testing to see whether MLF is complete? From what I've read they both have about the same threshold of 30-40.

I've got my first two MLFs going now.

Siwash, my 6 MLF carboys are doing the same as yours, very small bubbles in the carboy, can't detect bubbles in airlock. Just can't stare at them that long! Determining the end for me is the hardest, no testing stuff here. Roy

I use the accuvin test strips and have no trouble telling the differences in colors and when they hit the 30-40 ppm level. Then I let it sit another month. For me what to use came down to convenience, cost, ease of use and availability.

2 drops on an indicator, wait a very short amount of time, $20 start up cost and they were in Stock at the lhbs where I was.

tonight I noticed more off the same plus the air locks bubbled up on two or three of my carboys and that occurred while stting there and observing for about 3 min.

Also, I noticed bubble activity similar to soda pop whereby the bubbles were moving up toward the top similar to watching bubbles in a glass of coke or ginger ale except quite a bit less intense... I did not detect a gassy wine in anyway before i started MLF ...so i don't think it is "degassing"

Doesn't MLF produce some Co2 as a byproduct of the process?

Hoping its happening now that 2 weeks have passed...

tonight I noticed more off the same plus the air locks bubbled up on two or three of my carboys and that occurred while stting there and observing for about 3 min.

Also, I noticed bubble activity similar to soda pop whereby the bubbles were moving up toward the top similar to watching bubbles in a glass of coke or ginger ale except quite a bit less intense... I did not detect a gassy wine in anyway before i started MLF ...so i don't think it is "degassing"

Doesn't MLF produce some Co2 as a byproduct of the process?

Hoping its happening now that 2 weeks have passed...

That's an exact description of what I see, but you'll still need to test in a while to confirm that it is MLF activity. Be patient, sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes it's a few weeks, sometimes it's a few months. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, and that is the big mystery.

Testing whichever way you choose will be your best indicator. But it is nice to see those tiny bubbles for sure!

I did test with Acuvin.... a few days ago. But it was the first test..so nothing to compare to.. the reading was 160 i think

i only tested 2 of my 8 vessels... you only get 10 strips. Expensive product.

Latest posts

Back