MLF In Strawberry - Fortification Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cenk57

Reaction score
I had a strawberry batch go through an unplanned spontaneous MLF. I am trying to turn this unfortunate event into something positive. Fruit wines improve with a little sweetness and sorbate can't be used to stabilize a wine that has been through Malolatic fermentation (or so I've heard). So, I plan to fortify it to stabilize and make a "port" style strawberry wine. I have never attempted this. I know brandy is traditional. What type of brandy should be used? Any suggestions on other types of spirt to use for fortification? Thanks!

You shouldn’t sorbate an active MLF fermentation. If MLF is complete you can do it.

If you decide to fortify recognize that brandy is flavored and that probably quite an amount will be needed. If you like the flavor as it is, recommend you use neutral spirits like Everclear.

I had a strawberry batch go through an unplanned spontaneous MLF. I am trying to turn this unfortunate event into something positive. Fruit wines improve with a little sweetness and sorbate can't be used to stabilize a wine that has been through Malolatic fermentation (or so I've heard). So, I plan to fortify it to stabilize and make a "port" style strawberry wine. I have never attempted this. I know brandy is traditional. What type of brandy should be used? Any suggestions on other types of spirt to use for fortification? Thanks!
I have used brandy in my coffee and other ports. Another option, since strawberry port may be a bit delicate in flavor is Grappa Stravecchia which is a clear liquor made in Italy of grapes and won't impact the flavor as much. Everclear is another option. Go slow on your additions to be sure your port isn't super-charged.

I’m with Rice_Guy; what makes you think it went through MLF? Could it be that the warmer temperatures caused some wine to push into the airlock or caused some renewed fermentation?

I’m with Rice_Guy; what makes you think it went through MLF? Could it be that the warmer temperatures caused some wine to push into the airlock or caused some renewed fermentation?
@Rice_Guy
It is definitely an assumption on my part. I did not run chromatography tests. It is in a temperature controlled environment at 68 degrees. It had fermented to .994 and racked into bulk aging. I racked one time during aging (about 7 months). When I went to bottle, it had these tiny bubbles rising. Not vigorous at all, no where close to pushing into the airlock. It looked just like my grape wines that go through MLF. Although, I have questioned this as I did add 50 ppm k-meta when I racked into bulk aging and then again when I racked during bulk aging and clearing. I don't know. Now you really have me second guessing, lol.

It is certainly possible that it could be an MLF, since you have introduced Malic Bacteria into your wine making area. Many of us have, it isn't a bad thing. Strawberries are mostly citric, but there is malic acid present, also. If you have used one of the more tolerant to SO2 MLB strains 50 might not be enough to keep it at bay. You may want to consider adding Lysozome to inhibit the MLB further. You will certainly want to make certain via testing that the MLB conversion is either complete or totally stopped if you want to try to backsweeten this wine and add potassium sorbate.

How many gallons do you have? If you have enough, after your chromo test, make a test run with a sacrificial gallon by sorbating and back sweetening. I’m not sure how long it would take to develop the bubble gum flavor but I would expect not too long.

this is why wine making is an art, you never really know, it should have been knocked down but the winery/ hardware is contaminated but there isn’t a lot of malic in the system but it looks normal
. Although, I have questioned this as I did add 50 ppm k-meta when I racked into bulk aging and then again when I racked during bulk agin . . . Now you really have me second guessing,
My vote is 50ppm did the normal kill and we have other

Latest posts

Back