MLF in Port style wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario Dinis

Reaction score
Can someone explain this to me please. This is not the first time that I make Port style wine, but it is the first time that I actually noticed this. I removed the wine at the right SG, added the spirit and sorbate. Three weeks later racked the wine and added brandy barrel oak chips. Two days after that I started to notice very tiny bubbles coming uf the sides of the carboy just like in the wines that I have going under MLF. Is this possible to happen in a Port style after the spirit and the sorbate? just curious here.

If you bumped your abv up above 15% it is highly unlikely that those bubbles are from MLF. Sorbate doesn't stop mlf, sulfites, abv, ph are the big things. Except you don't want to have Sorbate in an active mlf, it will interact with the lactic acid (I believe) and produce something that smells of geraniums.

If you bumped your abv up above 15% it is highly unlikely that those bubbles are from MLF. Sorbate doesn't stop mlf, sulfites, abv, ph are the big things. Except you don't want to have Sorbate in an active mlf, it will interact with the lactic acid (I believe) and produce something that smells of geraniums.
That's what I thought. And that's why I asked for a second opinion because those tiny bubbles looks just like the ones in MLF. Also, there's no geranium smell.

At 20+ abv, you should be good to go. I have not seen a spec sheet for any yeast or mlb that can operate in that abv. Could be some residual CO2 outgassing.

Latest posts

Back