MLF for Free?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was talking to a commercial winemaker and I was discussing my protocol for fermentation; GoFerm, rehydrate yeast, FermK at first sign of fermentation, followed by another dose of FermK at 1/3 brix depletion. I' then either co-ferment with MLB after a few days of fermentation or do MLF after AF has been completed.

His response was that he has enough native yeast in his facility, that he does not purchase yeast anymore and once a barrel has completed MLF once, he does not ever add MFB to that barrel again.

Got me thinking. I am doing a quick carboy of Petit Verdot that I will be using to blend with other wine. Instead of buying new MLB, could I not take some of the lees from other wine that is undergoing MLF and use it to initiation MLF for my Petit Verdot? It would save me $30 from having to buy a packet of MLB.

I’d think yeah 100%. Every juice pale I’ve done in the last 1.5 yrs I’ve added the active slurry or skins from previous batch. Inoculating both active yeast and malo.
Always takes off like gangbusters. And even tho a week or so behind often finishes sooner.

What the heck @NorCal why'd you have to post this. Now I have to figure out what wine to put in barrel that had a previous MLF'ed wine. I've been working on my barrel management and you had to throw a wrench in it. LOL!

I'm sure you knew this already, but don't put any kit wines into barrels that have had MLF (not that you do a lot of kits).

Fred, I understand your Pain. I now have 3 barrels. A 23 liter which is for 6 gal kits only, and two 40 liter (10.6 gals) barrels which I use for real grapes that have gone thru MLF. Thinking this might be the last time I buy the MLF enzymes. Time will tell. I’ve also put a BlackBerry/Elderberry blend into the 40 L barrel yesterday. Only time will tell if that was a good idea. Hech, had to keep the barrel full! And needed the car boys for the 2018 grapes. Roy

Back