MLF for a Pinot Noir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you using chromatography to track ML progress? From the picture it looks like you have a little too much headspace, the floating plates look like vinegar bacteria or some type of surface yeast, in either case it's not good. Top up and overflow to remove the floating material. Test for ML completion and add sulfite if ML is complete.

You don't need to stir the wine, especially a couple times a week. It should be through the ML in about 3-4weeks. You may have introduce too much air and you may not have a very good Pinot noir now....

Welcome AK!!!

I am not familiar with MBR31. Do you know how this might compare with CH16?

I have used Vinaflora Eonos in the past, but this strain is rather picky about the level of PH and also level of SO2 that it can survive in.

Recently, I switched to CH16 which has a much higher Acid and SO2 tolerance. I am very happy with the results of this strain, but would gladly trade up for something even better.

Amity,

Like AK said, there is no real reason for stirring the wine so often.

In fact, I do not stir at all. I normally do my MLF in series. I wait until yeast fermentation is complete, give the wine a racking, then innoculate with MLB. I do not open the wine up again except to taste every so often.

Although not a accurate, I find that the tongue is a cheaper and easier way to tell if MLF is complete.

For MLB to survive, I need to maintain a lower level of SO2 (well below 30ppm) and higher PH (normally higher than 3.5). The process of MLF also will further raise the PH. In other words, wine is at its most vulnerable state (to outside nasties) during MLF. With this in mind, I try to keep opening up the wine to a minimum.

After I am happy with the MLF, I rack again, then add a final acid adjustment (tartaric) according to taste. I then raise the SO2 to the appropriate level for the current PH. This, then carries the wine through 18 months of bulk ageing.

Thanks for the welcome JohnT !!
Chr. Hansen ML, CH16 is well respected by many top wineries and winemakers. If I recall, it was very good ml and able to work at higher EtOH levels. At the winery we use MBR 31 for some time. Mainly because it works well for us and tolerates lower pH as well as easy to add. Either direct inoculate or mix with cool water. PLUS it comes from Scott Labs, and we take advantage of ordering it in July, with our other order for free shipping. We generally order around $12,000 or so then and keep it in the freezer until used. Vinflora CH16 is sold by Gusmer Enterpries for those that are curious. (addendum) MBR31 works very well at lower pH wines. Total SO2 is more critical than free. For example we add 30ppm to the grapes at the crush. Bear in mind that during yeast fermentation most of that is all boiled off. There is little free SO2 at the end. Also note that wines above 85 degree F can stunt ML and 95 degrees can actually kill it. We wait until wines fall below 80 degrees before we add the ML strain.

Taste is good, and so is recording the pH just after fermentation and then later when you believe it is done with ML Fermentation. I use Chromatography papers in the lab to see the change from Malic to Lactic on the sheets. Smelly, time consuming (takes 3 days) but does give very good visual on complete ML with no questions.

Add tartaric acid before doing some cold stabilization and then when done it makes for wine at the level of acid you shoot for.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back