MLF finished in 16 days

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba1

Reaction score
I crushed on 5/4 pitched rc212 on 5/5 two days later when fermentation was starting to kick in i added vp-41 then pressed on 5/10 racked 3 days later and stopped seeing little bubbles thinking mlf might have stalled i stirred it a few days still nothing i did a chromatography test and came up with this....seems fast to me considering my basement never got over 65 degreesIMG_1783.JPG

will do I'll let it sit for a few more weeks I just don't see any activity at all....better safe than sorry it just seemed to go so fast.IMG_1784.JPG

Definitely possible to complete in that amount of time with VP-41 co-inoculation

Fast and reliable Malolactic Fermentation (MLF)
MLF can be completed in between 3 days to 2 weeks depending on the type of musts and the bacteria used.

98b89c5b12df92ef9c61ab7c97d936b5dcd6ff62.png

When co-inoculating, it can go that fast. But agree with the advice to let it go a couple more weeks.

This is why I will always co-inoculate with an mlb like Alpha.

Not to hijack your thread but... Q? How many days total was your wine on the skins? This reads like 6 days. How’s your wine’s color and body?

I’m trying to find a slower fermenting yeast to allow more time of active fermentation on the skins. AMH got me to 8 days.... was a little disappointed.

jgmann67 I think it depends on if you use enzymes. I did a Petit Syrah last year and I did a "hot" ferment and it was done in 4 days. I let it sit for a day with LLallzyme EX and its almost black. Its a tannin monster.

Latest posts

Back