MLF and Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradowsk

Reaction score
I have a batch of pinot noir (from grapes). I pitched yeast on 9/30and co-inoculated with ML bacteria on 10/1.

I've since pressed off the skins/seeds, SG is below 1.000, and the wine is still sitting on the gross lees.

Question: can I rack off those lees now or will that mess with the MLF? Do the bacteria stay distributed throughout the wine or will I end up leaving too much of the colony behind in the lees if I rack now?

I have a batch of pinot noir (from grapes). I pitched yeast on 9/30and co-inoculated with ML bacteria on 10/1.

I've since pressed off the skins/seeds, SG is below 1.000, and the wine is still sitting on the gross lees.

Question: can I rack off those lees now or will that mess with the MLF? Do the bacteria stay distributed throughout the wine or will I end up leaving too much of the colony behind in the lees if I rack now?
It'll be fine to rack, just remember not to add kmeta.

Agree, but you COULD add k-meta provided that the SO2 level does not exceed the tolerance of the bacteria but personally, i would not add k-meta.

Latest posts

Back