MLF and Juice Buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't check SO2 levels. I'm not sure it would add anything to my wine making to check them. I agree with what John suggests, don't add any SO2 to the juice bucket and add your MLB at the first signs of fermentation. That's if you are going to co-inoculate, which many folks do. I do not. I wait for AF to finish, let the first racking pass and add my MLB after that.

With those buckets you’ll be good dropping in your ML probabaly at any point. Never enough so2 in them to inhibit MLf Never enough so2 to inhibit AF either. Those things always take off like gangbusters with or without adding yeast once the juice getA near room temp
You can safely drop in your Malo once AF starts chugging away. I do it just as @Johnd said— adding once I see fermentation fully active. Usually a day or so after adding yeast. I took his advice the first time I did mlf and have been doing the same ever since with 100% success rate too (knock on wood)

With those buckets you’ll be good dropping in your ML probabaly at any point. Never enough so2 in them to inhibit MLf Never enough so2 to inhibit AF either. Those things always take off like gangbusters with or without adding yeast once the juice getA near room temp
You can safely drop in your Malo once AF starts chugging away. I do it just as @Johnd said— adding once I see fermentation fully active. Usually a day or so after adding yeast. I took his advice the first time I did mlf and have been doing the same ever since with 100% success rate too (knock on wood)

Good to hear. That is the approach I will take. Thanks for the input!

When/if you test your juice be sure to share your findings here on the forum. Despite successful mlfs I’ve never actually tested the so2 levels in juice buckets (Only tested grapes) or have read results of anyone else’s tests. Curious what they’re clockin in at

When/if you test your juice be sure to share your findings here on the forum. Despite successful mlfs I’ve never actually tested the so2 levels in juice buckets (Only tested grapes) or have read results of anyone else’s tests. Curious what they’re clockin in at

Absolutely!

Morewines is $90 but with free shipping over $60 orders

I use lodilabs for different things and noticed they sell the same chroma kit basically for $50. Unsure of shipping costs.
https://www.lodiwinelabs.com/collections/lab-chemicals/products/chromatography-kit
Includes plenty to last a few years. So far only had to replace the solution and more capillary tubes

edit* I just responded to a post from sept 2019 thinking it was new. 😑 I miss the WMT app more every day.

Last edited:
Morewines is $90 but with free shipping over $60 orders

I use lodilabs for different things and noticed they sell the same chroma kit basically for $50. Unsure of shipping costs.
https://www.lodiwinelabs.com/collections/lab-chemicals/products/chromatography-kit
Includes plenty to last a few years. So far only had to replace the solution and more capillary tubes

edit* I just responded to a post from sept 2019 thinking it was new. 😑 I miss the WMT app more every day.

Wow! That MoreWine kit has really gone up in price. I think I paid $55 for mine.

My MLF has been going since May 19th with VP41, but so far I've forgotten to stir the wine. I've been told that VP41 is the workhorse of MLF. Do you guys stir yours when using VP41?

Back