MLF and Juice Buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I understand this may not be the right thread to ask this question, but has anyone of you ever used this brand? I'm not too happy with it. After a month there's still a very slight haze. I've used Super-Kleer KC before and it's great.

Attachments

• 20200229_113412.jpg
    20200229_113412.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
Ok, I understand this may not be the right thread to ask this question, but has anyone of you ever used this brand? I'm not too happy with it. After a month there's still a very slight haze. I've used Super-Kleer KC before and it's great.
Hate to break this to you, but this is Super Kleer. A few years ago, they changed the name to Dual Fine. Same formulation.

Hate to break this to you, but this is Super Kleer. A few years ago, they changed the name to Dual Fine. Same formulation.
I didn't know that, thanks. But when I used the brand super kleer, I found that under the same conditions, my wine cleared faster than with this dual fine. There's definitely a difference.

Hi, can anyone tell me more or less how much of this VP41 should be added to two six gallon buckets of juice?
Can the left over be used next year? Also, does it need Opti-malo Plus?

Hi, can anyone tell me more or less how much of this VP41 should be added to two six gallon buckets of juice?
Can the left over be used next year? Also, does it need Opti-malo Plus?

2.5 grams will do over 60 gallons. There are those that save it, by freezing and reusing. I think most here just buy a new packet each year. I would recommend Opti-Malo and also using Acting's-ML during hydration.

I also have a packet of D 254 yeast unopened in a zip lock bag in my fridge since last end of Summer. Do you think it is still good to use this Spring in my Malbec?
I'd appreciate an advice.

I also have a packet of D 254 yeast unopened in a zip lock bag in my fridge since last end of Summer. Do you think it is still good to use this Spring in my Malbec?
I'd appreciate an advice.

I would guess it is probably fine. What I do if in question is rehydrate the yeast. If it grows it's good.

Very interesting read as I am about to get Chilean juice buckets of Cab Sauv, Merlot, and PS. Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but for those who co-inoculate juice buckets, did you measure total and free SO2 prior to pitching MLB? That's the only part that makes me nervous about co-inoculating. I plan to test (Vinmetric set up) both free and total SO2 prior to pitching yeast for AF. If the SO2 is within the stated tolerance of the MLB strain (using CH16), is it safe to pitch 24 hours after yeast pitch? Thanks!

Very interesting read as I am about to get Chilean juice buckets of Cab Sauv, Merlot, and PS. Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but for those who co-inoculate juice buckets, did you measure total and free SO2 prior to pitching MLB? That's the only part that makes me nervous about co-inoculating. I plan to test (Vinmetric set up) both free and total SO2 prior to pitching yeast for AF. If the SO2 is within the stated tolerance of the MLB strain (using CH16), is it safe to pitch 24 hours after yeast pitch? Thanks!

I don't coinoculate, but I bleieve I have read most folks wait a bit longer than just 24 hours after yeast pitch. If it were me, I would wait until at least 1/2 sugar drop.

I don't coinoculate, but I bleieve I have read most folks wait a bit longer than just 24 hours after yeast pitch. If it were me, I would wait until at least 1/2 sugar drop.

Thanks for the reply. In your experience, would it be worth re-checking total and free sulfites at the half-sugar point, prior to pitching MLB? and are the stated sulfite tolerances on the MLB packaging realistic?

If I'm understanding your question correctly the SO2 in the bucket will more than likely be low enough especially if you wait a couple days before pitching the MLB. The AF will bind some of the SO2. The CO2 will protect the wine through AF. After that just make sure the carboy is topped up while MLF completes.

I coinoculate exclusively, typically as soon as AF takes off, when the first cap rises. Since you’re doing buckets, you’ll have no cap, in which case, inoculate when you see signs of fermentation (bubbling or first SG drop noted). If it were me, I wouldn’t add any SO2 to the bucket, and if they come with SO2 on board, you should make sure it’s below the tolerance of your MLB.

If I'm understanding your question correctly the SO2 in the bucket will more than likely be low enough especially if you wait a couple days before pitching the MLB. The AF will bind some of the SO2. The CO2 will protect the wine through AF. After that just make sure the carboy is topped up while MLF completes.

Yes, that's basically what I'm asking about (sorry not expressed too clearly). I am expecting the possibility that the juice buckets may be sulfited for transit, and waiting a few days into AF makes sense since the SO2 will attenuate during AF.

I coinoculate exclusively, typically as soon as AF takes off, when the first cap rises. Since you’re doing buckets, you’ll have no cap, in which case, inoculate when you see signs of fermentation (bubbling or first SG drop noted). If it were me, I wouldn’t add any SO2 to the bucket, and if they come with SO2 on board, you should make sure it’s below the tolerance of your MLB.

This is what I am after If the SO2 is above MLB tolerance prior to yeast pitch, I assume the SO2 will attenuate once AF starts in earnest. I can test SO2 again and make sure it's in the tolerance range of the MLB before pitching it. Many thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back