Mixing wine making and homebrew equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szap

Reaction score
Like many on here in addition to wine kits I also homebrew. I was told I should not homebrew using any equipment that was used to make wines ie: fermenters, siphons, hoses, carboy, etc. Is this this true.

I have used the same equipment for both beer and wine for 5+ years now. In all that time I have had one infected batch of beer. But that was a batch done with a buddy who supposedly brought sterilized bottles. Turned out not so.

Same fermenters, hoses, syphons etc, used for both. Clean and sterilize everything after/before any use and you will be fine.

Now if you are going to make sour beers and such then you are going to want to dedicate some equipment to just that.

I make mainly IPA variations and stout's.

I have used the same equipment for both beer and wine for 5+ years now. In all that time I have had one infected batch of beer. But that was a batch done with a buddy who supposedly brought sterilized bottles. Turned out not so.

Same fermenters, hoses, syphons etc, used for both. Clean and sterilize everything after/before any use and you will be fine.

Now if you are going to make sour beers and such then you are going to want to dedicate some equipment to just that.

I make mainly IPA variations and stout's.
Thanks. Reinforces what I thought.

While I don't make much beer, I do use the same equipment when I do. I clean and sanitize the equipment after use, as good as I would if I was processing wine.

Latest posts

Back