Mixing the sugar for backsweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I'm about two weeks away from backsweetening (using plain table sugar). This seems like a silly question, but what do you find is the best way to mix it into the wine? Put the sugar in an empty carboy then rack? Spoon or degasser? Or dissolve it in wine and pour back it in (similar to when you rehydrate the yeast)?

I will take some wine and warm it up, dissolve the sugar in the warm wine and then add it back.

do a bench trial first with simple syrup. this is two cup sugar to one cup hot water, mix in a blender. let cool. get 100ml sample of wine. add 1/4 tsp in first this is equal to 1.25ml, two time 1/4 in second etc adding a 1/4 tsp per sample. select the best one. make a 500ml sample with the selected sugar syrup ration let stand for about a week. revisit to insure taste profile is as originally thought then calculate the required amount for a full batch then add with simple syrup again. make sure you sue k-meta and sorbate in the 500ml sample and in the finished wine to prevent refermetation.

Actually,2 to 1 is a good mix by the quarter. take a look at my simple syrup process,you need to desolve the sugar by bring it to a clear boil,then let it cool. By totally desovleing the sugar your assured of a good bond in solution using as much or as little as you want.

Agree with Simple Syrup (SS) using 2 parts Sugar to 1 part Hot/Boiling water.
And bench trials are the best way to accurately determine how much. Start with one cup of wine and go slow. I normally start with about 1/4 oz of SS for a cup of wine. So far most times I end up with a very slightly sweet wine at most times around 1/2 oz SS per cup and 1.005 SG

Remember that seem perfect now will become sweeter in another 6 months to a year, even with a wine aged 12 months already.

Also don't forget that you can add body and mouth-feel AND sweetness with food grade Glycerin. I would do the Glycerin first then do the SS additions. Don't try to get all the way there with Glycerin unless you are really wanting a pretty dry wine OR you also want you wine to provide a laxative effect as well.
By the way Glycerin has more calories than sugar but only 60% of the sweetness - so the use of it is primarily for body/mouth-feel.

A simple syrup solution has an important advantage, as I will explain. Let's talk sweetness. You often read here that people who backsweeten their wine find that they "overshoot," and the wine is too sweet. I believe what happens is that they add table sugar (aka sucrose), and taste the wine, and then stop when it tastes sweet enough. However, table sugar, which is a disaccharide, eventually separates into fructose and glucose molecules. Fructose is much sweeter than table sugar.
When you make simple syrup, you efficiently break up the sucrose into fructose and glucose. Thus, simple syrup is already as sweet as it will get, so your taste testing will be indicative of the final product. (Add a little lemon juice when making the simple syrup to facilitate breaking the sucrose up.)

Hey ! Thanks Sour_grapes - I DID not know that.

I normally use a simple syrup because it's a lot easier to dissolve that sugar in hot water than even a warmed up wine. Also I know exactly how much sugar is going into that syrup and eventually my wine. Any dilution of my wine I consider minimal since at most I'm adding 7 1/2 oz of liquid (Syrup) to my wine.

@sour_grapes good point, you definitely need some acid present during heating to get the sucrose to split into glucose and fructose at any reasonable rate.

A simple syrup solution has an important advantage, as I will explain. Let's talk sweetness. You often read here that people who backsweeten their wine find that they "overshoot," and the wine is too sweet. I believe what happens is that they add table sugar (aka sucrose), and taste the wine, and then stop when it tastes sweet enough. However, table sugar, which is a disaccharide, eventually separates into fructose and glucose molecules. Fructose is much sweeter than table sugar.

Thanks for that! It sounds like you can get much more control of sweetness with that.

So I just tasted the wine again. When I first tasted it a month into bulk-aging, I didn't really like the flavor. Since then, its become a bit more full-bodied and right where I like my Riesling (though a bit acidic) so I don't think I'll backsweeten.

That being said, I didn't add the sorbate during stabilization because I was going to add it during backsweetening (it has not re-fermented or spoiled), so I'm curious if that will have an affect on the wine and if I should add it now (I'm about a month or so away from bottling).

If you are not going to backsweeten you don't need to add the sorbate. I would suggest that you take a hydrometer reading and take a ph reading and record those

I was going to type what essentially sour_grapes already said about making a syrup with a touch of lemon juice (or citric acid) to break apart that chemical bond. The term is making "invert sugar". Here is video that explains it a bit more

H

Latest posts

Back