Vineco Mixing grape skin packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnW

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a Vineco signature series Amarone kit with grape skins and Super Tuscan Tavola Finer Wine kit with a packet of their dried skins which includes whatever else they include in there (stems, seeds, etc.). I'm thinking about mixing the packets so that each would get half of the Vineco skin goo and half of the FWK dried packet. My thought is it should add more complexity to each as the wet and dry packets each impart a different type and level of tannins. (Well that and I like to experiment and make a mess.) Does anybody have any thoughts on this, good or bad?

I say go for it too, with this caveat. While the intended effect of each skin pack is similar they are not exactly the same. After all, if they were identical what would be the point in mixing them. In my experience dry FWK skin packs do not add any sugar and the wet skin packs do. You could taste each and see if you agree. Not likely to throw either out of balance so, yeah, go for it.

In my experience dry FWK skin packs do not add any sugar and the wet skin packs do.
This is a critical point. If the pack is part of the sugar for the Amarone (and it probably is), mixing the packs will produce a lower ABV Amarone, and a higher ABV Tavola. THAT may be a problem.

Good call.

My latest experiment (last fall) was fermenting a 6gal Italian Tuscan Roso and a 6gal California Cabernet Sav juice bought from my local distributor with FWK grape skins and grape seeds bought from LP. In my opinion, the addition of the (unknown) grape skins and seeds added color, weight (mouthfeel), aroma, and flavor to the juice. But no sugar changes or issues.

By fermenting with the skins and seeds I truly believe the final product (still aging) is better when compared to simply fermenting juice only. So much so that I’m repeating this with some Chilean juice when they come in next month, with maybe some pectic enzyme to see if there is any benefit which can be detected.

As for kits without skins/seeds, i believe the addition will definitely benefit the end product. As for kits with skins and seeds I don’t believe any harm will come of it.

An experiment somewhere on the horizon, a frozen grape skin/seed must bucket mixed with an appropriate fresh juice bucket.

I say go for it too, with this caveat. While the intended effect of each skin pack is similar they are not exactly the same. After all, if they were identical what would be the point in mixing them. In my experience dry FWK skin packs do not add any sugar and the wet skin packs do. You could taste each and see if you agree. Not likely to throw either out of balance so, yeah, go for it.
Tasting the packs sounds like a good idea. If Vineco Amarone pack is overly sugary I may reconsider or make adjustments. I bought extra skin packs with the FWK kit so I have some options.

Latest posts

Back