Mixing different grape varieties

Discussion in 'Wine Making from Grapes' started by deiswerth, Jun 10, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jun 10, 2018 #1

deiswerth

deiswerth

deiswerth

Junior

Hi guys, I planted 4 different kinds of red grapes, 3 vines of each. They are only a few years old and I have been mainly working on getting them trained on the wires. Hoping to get a decent amount of grape this year from them, but I know, nowhere near enough to make a batch of wine. How do you think a batch of wine would turn out mixing the 4 different kinds if I get enough to do a small batch? Also what can I expect to get off of 1 single variety? (3 vines each). Thanks for any info!

2. Jun 11, 2018 #2

jburtner

jburtner

jburtner

What grapes are they?

3. Jun 11, 2018 #3

CK55

CK55

CK55

you can expect about 8-9 bottles of wine from 3 vines with good yield. Basically if they are all red i dont think mixing them would hurt you just might get a bit of a different flavor profile than normal which isnt always a bad thing considering back in the day they would field blend grapevines. As in randomly plant a bunch of grapes and harvest them and then use that to make wine. Wine is not hard to make.

4. Jun 11, 2018 #4

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker

once vines are mature at about 5 years old should be able to harvest at least 15 lbs per plant which will give you one gallon of wine. you can boost the harvest to about twice this amount but you need to be diligent in pruning, fertilizing and summer pruning. the last especially to insure even ripening.
    as far a blending it is done all of the time.

5. Jun 11, 2018 #5

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

We get around 15 pounds per plant as well and it takes around 15 pounds for each gallon of wine. The only complication would be when each grape variety reached maturity. Some grapes we grow reach maturing close enough, others mature 3 weeks later than the other.

6. Jun 12, 2018 #6

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker

to overcome different ripening times just freeze the the grapes utill all are ripen then blend.