Mixed Berry Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfe

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just started a Mixed Berry Melomel, details below.

This was adapted from a Blueberry Melomel recipe posted here way back in 2006 and looked fantastic and I believe tasted as good as it looked. The thread can be found -

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f51/making-blueberry-mead-melomel-19965/

I've adapted to UK gallons and made a batch of 4 Gallons. SG is 1070 which may be a little low but my recent wines have seemed to head towards the rocket fuel end of the spectrum. But I'm thinking as the fruit, which was frozen by the way, gives up its goodness the sugar content of the Must will rise anyway

Honey was dissolved in boiling water and the balance of the 4 gallons was added to the fruit (also boiling). The rest of the method follows the usual pattern.

The yeast was my main doubt as I have a generic yeast bought from a homebrew supplier and EC118 which is earmarked for some future sparkling wines but hopefully Red Star Cotes de Blanc will be ok.

Acid content also posed a question as it did in the original Blueberry post, I took my lead from members replies back then and will go by taste when the primary is complete

I'll post some pics when I transfer to Demi-Johns

Strawberry 850g
blackberry 775g
redcurrant 300g
blueberry 1200g
raspberry 500g
blackcurrant 275g
cherry 250g
total fruit 4150g
4 campden
3 Tspoon acid blend
Cotes de Blanc yeast
halfTspoon tannin
4 Tspoon pectolase
4 gallon water
4 Tspoon nutrient

Cheers

Dean

Hi,

Sorry I haven't replied , work seems to have taken over my life but last night shift for a bit and a few days off due.

It all worked out fine, SG was 1080 in the end which may be a bit low but we shall see. Think I will stick to one or may two fruits next time unless this batch blows me away of course.

I'll post some pics in a few days and keep updating them as a from of visual log!

A multitude of fruit is a good way to use up odds and ends, But I generally find there is no discernable, flavor Just kind of a what is that? That is very hard to duplicate even if you measured the individual fruit to the gram. You can produce some interesting flavor profiles though. let us know how it comes out.

Think you're right it seems to have no distinct or discernable flavour. It reminds me of Vimto. So maybe I should now call it Vimto mead! haha! But we'll see. I'll post some pics tomorrow

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back