Mix yeasts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitala

Reaction score
Just thinking on things...

We mix grapes and fruit and such, does anyone mix yeasts?

IM researching the different yeasts, and still dont know what will give me what result. But back when wild yeast was used, it wasnt just one strain, right?

Some wine kits come with two yeasts. Personally, i think, unless you have two separate fermenters, it isn't a good idea. If you put in, say d47 and ec1118, the ec1118 (killer yeast) will dominate. With wild yeast, you just had no idea what was fermenting your must. That is almost what you have, if you mix, might be good, might be dreadful.

Microorganisms attack a substrate in waves, as cmason noted the strong will dominate untill something is limiting, then the next will come and utilize another food source, then third etc.
I think there are one or two cultures which are mixed by the manufacturer, ie they are compatible.

Some wine kits come with two yeasts. Personally, i think, unless you have two separate fermenters, it isn't a good idea. If you put in, say d47 and ec1118, the ec1118 (killer yeast) will dominate. With wild yeast, you just had no idea what was fermenting your must. That is almost what you have, if you mix, might be good, might be dreadful.

I agree. Keep it simple. Just make good wine with 1 yeast you know and like. I like Avante, D21, D254, in that order and maybe Pasture Red. Get familiar with a couple of yeasts and just go for it. I have a strong bias for H2S preventing yeasts like Avante. There is no magic secret in multiple yeasts combined to yield a magic elixir of the gods. A clean fermentation with anything will beat that every time.

I talked to a pro wine maker near me in CA. He said he often adds multiple yeasts to add depth of flavor. But he ferments separately and mixes them after fermentation. I’m making a Zin right now and did Lalvin D80 and Lalvin VRB. I started them in August and switched to clean carboys last night and tried them and there’s a major difference in flavor. The D80 has come out very jammy and slightly sweet while the VRB is smoky and earthy. The descriptions of the yeasts were the exact opposite so I’m beginning to believe somewhere along the way I switched the labels somehow. 🤔

Some yeasts are already mixes of two or more strains, like BM4x4, from the mfr's website: "BM 4X4® is a blend of BM45™ and another yeast known for its fermentation reliability. BM45™ is known and appreciated around the world for its round mouthfeel and stable color (see above description for BM45). However, BM45™ is a slow fermenter and can require substantial nutrients to complete fermentation successfully and without the production of sulfides. While BM45™ has a very strong following among winemakers who enjoy its slow fermentation and its suitability for long maceration programs, there are others who desire the attributes of BM45™ but with a more timely and secure fermentation. BM 4X4® achieves this goal." Beer yeast mfr's do the same thing with the Saison DuPont yeast, a classic strain but tends to be super finicky, they blend it with a more reliable finisher.

I haven't had a kit which includes two yeasts yet, but if I had a kit include anything else with EC-1118, I'd start with practially anything else, then add the EC-1118 only if it would not ferment to dry without it.

I haven't had a kit which includes two yeasts yet, but if I had a kit include anything else with EC-1118, I'd start with practially anything else, then add the EC-1118 only if it would not ferment to dry without it.

The Winexpert NZ Marlborough Sauv Blanc comes with 2 yeasts EC-1118 and K1-V1116 - which is an interesting combination as I believe they are both dominant yeasts so I'm not sure what the thought process is behind having the two. I've done the kit twice - following the instructions the first time (using both yeasts) which resulted in a superb wine that just keeps getting better. The second time with just the K1-VC1116, and it's only been 3mths since bottling so will be having my first taster this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back