Mity Vac vs Foodsaver

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacci

Reaction score
Which works better Mity Vac Bleeder or this hand held foodsaver device?

I follow my last 3 kits instructions and after stabilizing, degassing with whip, good temps andclearing stage (day 42-48) I then bulk ageing 3 months in Pet Bottles and rack to 1 gallon jugs to try degassingfor a couple of dayswith a vac-vin, add KMET and bottled. When opened a month later still gas in bottle and a little foam in glass of poured wine, which does settle out.So want to try somethingdifferent for degassingmy 1 gallon jugs

I have found that when you degas with the wine whip or Mix Stir devices that you had to stir the wine for a much longer time than advertised. The three minute thing just didn't get it. I would go upward of 10 minutes or better. I would try to get the wine to about 75 degrees for a couple days or so and then degas. One nice thing to have is a decanter as well. If your wine is still a little gassy you can decant it for a bit and then serve. The Vaccu Vin is the only type of vacuum device I have ever used and I never had it fail me. It takes a while for it to draw all the gas out though.

The Mity vac is better and will last much longer then the foodsaver, that motor just isnt made for it and the Mityvac has a gauge on it that lets you know when your done. Some of us use an electric vacuum aspirator pump and this is about the best thing you can get for degassing and also racking your wine as you wont have to lift a full carboy ever again.

For $10 at xscargo picked up a Foodsaver Mealsaver vacuum pump that pulls 20 in.Hg according to the hand brake vacuum pump which had all the hoses/connectors. Uses the same size hose connection fitting that also fits snugly into a regular 23L carboy drilled silicone stopper bung in place of the airlock part. Update: Degassed with the gauge attached inline to monitor vacuum pressure and it only pulled 18in.Hg in a carboy of wine, worked fine with initial foaming at 12in.Hg then alternated one minute on/off cycles to not burn out the motor. With the hand brake vac i usually went up over 23+in.Hg to get to another level with much more foaming. Will keep on using this far less physically demanding Mealsaver vac degas. As a benchmark did drill stir degas first but that did not release much foam at 75F.

Really like Tim V's idea to degas easier with way more CO2 bubbles by inserting a carboy brush into the wine. Tied the brush with fishing line and some wire tied to the other end so it would not fall in.

Original purpose was to use the foodsaver as a backup for our daily used WineSaver bottle vacuum as we have extra bottle valve's.
20110415_083809_Foodsaver20inHg.jpg

Latest posts

Back