Mites?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you could not use sulfur on the northern hybrids? At least that’s what I’ve read here.
It depends on the hybrid. I use it on Marquette, Itasca, Regent, and Chelois without a problem. Others can be more sensitive, you just have to research it.

I thought you could not use sulfur on the northern hybrids? At least that’s what I’ve read here.
Red hybrids can be sulfur sensitiveWhite hybrids are not sulfur sensitive. You have to watch the temperatures and not spray sulfur within two weeks of an oil spray. A lot to think about.
It depends on the hybrid. I use it on Marquette, Itasca, Regent, and Chelois without a problem. Others can be more sensitive, you just have to research it.
How are your Chelois doing? What year? I really have been happy with mine.

How are your Chelois doing? What year? I really have been happy with mine.

So far so good, though I just planted them in April. I added them along with Regent and Petite Sirah this year as an experiment to see what I might want to do if I were to move (still in Virginia) and replant my vineyard. Now that I have my spray protocol mostly figured out, my Cab Franc is doing much better so I think I’d keep that. Marquette is pretty easy in terms of disease management and yield, but much harder to train and I’m not sure I like the wine it makes. Petite Sirah is the one vinifera variety that is supposed to be somewhat resistant to downy mildew so I’m interested in seeing how it does here. Last summer I was able to taste a wine made from another Seibel variety, Plantet (Seibel 5455), by a winery in my wife’s hometown in France that has some of the few remaining vineyards growing the old French hybrids. If they hadn’t told me, I wouldn’t have known it was a hybrid as it was very well structured, including the tannins, without any additions. They were also sharing with the other local winemakers how little they have to spray it, especially compared to their Gamay, which is the authorized grape in their region. I haven’t found Plantet in the US, but Chelois is another variety that was developed by Seibel, so based on what I tried in France and your review of Chelois you tried in New York and how it’s doing in your vineyard, I figured I’d give it a try. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. How old are yours now and when are you expecting your first crop?

So far so good, though I just planted them in April. I added them along with Regent and Petite Sirah this year as an experiment to see what I might want to do if I were to move (still in Virginia) and replant my vineyard. Now that I have my spray protocol mostly figured out, my Cab Franc is doing much better so I think I’d keep that. Marquette is pretty easy in terms of disease management and yield, but much harder to train and I’m not sure I like the wine it makes. Petite Sirah is the one vinifera variety that is supposed to be somewhat resistant to downy mildew so I’m interested in seeing how it does here. Last summer I was able to taste a wine made from another Seibel variety, Plantet (Seibel 5455), by a winery in my wife’s hometown in France that has some of the few remaining vineyards growing the old French hybrids. If they hadn’t told me, I wouldn’t have known it was a hybrid as it was very well structured, including the tannins, without any additions. They were also sharing with the other local winemakers how little they have to spray it, especially compared to their Gamay, which is the authorized grape in their region. I haven’t found Plantet in the US, but Chelois is another variety that was developed by Seibel, so based on what I tried in France and your review of Chelois you tried in New York and how it’s doing in your vineyard, I figured I’d give it a try. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. How old are yours now and when are you expecting your first crop?
Sorry we hijacked the thread.

My Chelois are doing great. The first 25 were three years old last year and had a huge crop even after some frost in early May. One vine had 38 clusters and I had to drop fruit. Second year vines were not as productive. This year I have about 107 thirteen and four year vines.

I can’t tell you how the wine turned out because the raccoons harvested most of the crop. I did pick a few clusters at 16 brix and made an elderberry/Chelois blend that has some promise.

I’m expecting a good crop this year with nets, electric fence and radios.

Latest posts

Back