Mistakes Equal=Learning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok.
played right into stupid, have made a few batches except for one carboy of blackberry that came off decent, got the ole big head, made a batch of apple an honey, for a quick wine, coming on 2 months and still looks like white grape fruit juice , to the tee, looks wise, so today my nephew and I decided to try some since I don't use kits I make my batches so I fill carboys an gallon jugs , half gallon jugs down to wine bottles with airlocks to top off with, so we pulled an airlock off a wine bottle filled two glasses big mistake,,,:sh ,,, time we each choke down half a bottle each we were buzzed, I think I could taste honey somewhere after my face smoothed back out, whew, used ec-1118 and can bet we got it to max out, no need to break our the veneer, that little glass thing that tells ABV,, way, way, way to hot, my gawd,,,,so lesson learned, I already knew wine worth drinking takes time, I KNEW THAT:: , but knowing don't stop stupid, so I got around 11 gallons, sending for another carboy, don't you know it all mine full except my 6 an 1/2 gallon carboy I use for racking/degassing,,, so i'll spit it into 3 fives, add a lot of apple juice, use a finer, do some degassing's an so on,,, NEVER EVER GET INTO A HURRY,,, the big boys an ladies,, tried to kindly warn me, what's the worst is I ALREADY KNEW BETTER,, like I said lesson learned... yet again,,, welp better now than latter when my raw honey an hops come in, you can bet I'll shoot a lot lower on my mead, ::
dawg::

Well I think your 100% correct. "Mistakes Equal=Learning"
I am constantly learning and constantly making mistakes.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I agree with your title " Mistakes Equal=Learning". You'd think at 70+ years of age I'd be learning more from other's mistakes and less from my own... well, maybe in my next life.
smilie.gif

or...just let 'er rip tater chip and give it the time it needs....use it beef up weak fruit wines. My first apple sounded much like yours...I only bottled it because I need the practice bottling...a year later it was nice white wine. There is always Sangria punch...last batch we made had folks licking the punch bowl.

you're dead on point about time Msmost, my problem is a younger brother, him an his brothers in arms, hehe I supplied for my gratitude for their service then that little squirt went all over the county yacking, funny how friends multiply when alcohol is involved ,, my fruits I run up a ways then kill off the yeast degas, gross lees gone wait a couple years back sweeten with honey then bottle I like,
this was an attempt for some county officials an others he knows, something quick,,, LOL,, this ,,, this will be 2/3 set away for a year or so in a 60 to 65 degree bulk aging room/spare bedroom, own AC an heat,, I'll apple one five, and see what comes up, I was good at 20 gallon a year for me an a couple life long friends and yep family, I guess I'll not break his neck, he survived Baghdad, so he's earned the right, dang little brothers even when gray hairs sits in they are still a pain in the behind,, little brothers, I just do tiny ,,didn't plan on this expansion , now I got fifty gallons going and more carboys coming, just recently learned about Italian carboys , and they are supplying them to me,, still got a freezer with pears an apples, and come fall I'll be dodging copper heads again picking fruit, elderberry an blackberries, I'm very lucky between my little piece of land and my neighbors I get lots of fresh fruit, I pass out eggs all year, come fall I find when I get home buckets of fruit , live and learn, they will now just have to be patient or head for a store shelf, lol,,, no more rush for me, I guess I felt presser but only from my self, that's why I said I knew better, so Msmost just what you said dead on , time an time only,,, let er rip tatter chip,,,
dawg::

or...just let 'er rip tater chip and give it the time it needs....use it beef up weak fruit wines. My first apple sounded much like yours...I only bottled it because I need the practice bottling...a year later it was nice white wine. There is always Sangria punch...last batch we made had folks licking the punch bowl.

There is a lot to learn in wine making for sure. I like this forum, with it , we're all helping each other. As for me, I have a long way to go , and I'm enjoying the journey.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back