Mistake done at stabilizing and clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaroldP

Junior
Reaction score
I made a mistake (not paying enough attention to what I was doing) at the stabilizing and clearing stage. I was to add Kieselsol and stir and then after 5 minutes add Chitosan, etc. What I ACTUALLY did was add Chitosan and then Kieselsol. Have I ruined the wine? Is there something I can do to rectify? Any advice?

I made a mistake (not paying enough attention to what I was doing) at the stabilizing and clearing stage. I was to add Kieselsol and stir and then after 5 minutes add Chitosan, etc. What I ACTUALLY did was add Chitosan and then Kieselsol. Have I ruined the wine? Is there something I can do to rectify? Any advice?
Being a newbie, I recently made this mistake and asked the same question. The response I got from the knowledge here basically said wait and see, which I did and everything turned out alright. This was on a Sauv Blanc so it is easy to tell when it clears out not. Reds might be a bit harder to tell. What are you making?

Thanks for the reply. It's a Meritage which is a Bordeaux blend. I've got fingers and toes crossed.

Instructions for using Kieselsol and chitosan vary greatly. Some say add kieselsol 24 hours prior to the addition of chitosan. Some say wait 1 hour, some say wait 15 minutes. Some just say use kieselsol first then add chitosan. I generally add kieselsol then rack into new container after which I add chitosan. The wine always clears crystal clear.

Thanks. I put the chitosan in first so I hope it will clear sufficiently.
I did that once. I just skipped the kieselsol. Wine still cleared fine. Actually, time was, I didn't use any clarifiers; I just waited for the wines to clarify of their own accord.

Latest posts

Back