Mist wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferratus

Junior
Reaction score
We are trying it but for the life of me what is the difference ?? ( We havent tasted it yet ) ... just trying to get a handle on what is soo different .

We purchased a kit of Orchard Breeze Mist wine..... we have been making other kits or " Have previously made other kits " that were just regular wine. This is the first kit of " Mist wine " that we have purchased and it is about ready to be bottled. I am curious as to what is different from this to that.. taste , alcohol levels SG indicated around 11 percent prior to racking it , and other facts that go along with Mist wines.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y1CFL0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

as he checks and observes someone had already made a thread about mist wines .......... ferratus lowers his head and apologizes

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the abv of these kits are much lower like around 6.5%. You should have had a starting sg of around 1.060 or there abouts unlike a typical wine kit of around 1.090. These are low abv wines designed for mainly drinking on a deck in the middle of the summer and they are very thin boddied and sweet with usually lots of fruit flavor.

And just add a little ginger ale or lemon/lime soda and you got a spritz.
They are sooo good

I just bottled one of these mist wines, but we added sugar to the mix to bump the abv up to 12.5%. Turned out great. Nice fruit taste with all the kick of a good wine. :dg

Today I bottled a RJS OC Sangria with Seville oranges. Turned out very nice. I only bumped the alcohol to 9.4%; I figured that at some of my Summer parties, folks will try drinking this stuff like soda pop... bumping to 12% could be a problem for such a group. As it is, I'll likely put a warning sign up that says, "9.4% alcohol, so watch it!" :i

I bottled my batch of the Sangria about a month ago, and am alrerady down to 4 bottles!! Between Easter, and some family get togethers it has gone quickly!! Very popular served over ice, orange slice, lime slice, and cherries. My kit was ~10% with the added sugar (7lbs), very potent. Just ordered another kit the other day through Northernbrewer.com, it was 10% off plus shipping.. Thinking I will up this kit by 8lbs sugar and see where I end up.

:b

My Green Apple Riesling has been clearing for 1 week, and is still very cloudy.. First time I have had one of these mist kits take this long to clear.. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I've made the WE Black Berry Cab and Green Apple Reisling, both were about 11% after the added sugar and were very tasty. The reisling I added part of the fpac up fron as well. I'm in the process of making the Black Raspberry Merlot now, there was 3 1/2 lbs of sugar added initially along with part of the Fpac. From early tasting, this will be a good one also.

There is a type O or something in there as it would be over 10% with 7 lbs of sugar added to this kit, I add around 3 1/2 lbs and that brings it up to that amount on many many mist kits. Maybe the formula you are using is incorrect.

I bottled my batch of the Sangria about a month ago, and am alrerady down to 4 bottles!! Between Easter, and some family get togethers it has gone quickly!! Very popular served over ice, orange slice, lime slice, and cherries. My kit was ~10% with the added sugar (7lbs), very potent. Just ordered another kit the other day through Northernbrewer.com, it was 10% off plus shipping.. Thinking I will up this kit by 8lbs sugar and see where I end up.

:b

My Green Apple Riesling has been clearing for 1 week, and is still very cloudy.. First time I have had one of these mist kits take this long to clear.. Any suggestions?

There is a type O or something in there as it would be over 10% with 7 lbs of sugar added to this kit, I add around 3 1/2 lbs and that brings it up to that amount on many many mist kits. Maybe the formula you are using is incorrect.

Yup.. Meant 7 cups (3.5lbs) sugar... LOL

well i just did a mist this weekend and i had done some simple syrup 6 cups of sugar for 3 cups of water but that wasnt enough so i added some more sugar directly to it... but took a whole lot to bring to 1080

I am doing a green apple reisling right now that is having a hard time clearing. Just added hot mix sparkaloid yesterday after it was still very hazy after 2 weeks of adding the f-pack and clearing agent that came with the kit. Had the same thing happen with the appricot peach chardonnay mist kit - also had to add the sparkaloid to make it clear. Never had problems with the mist kits before. I up the abv to 10-11%. Anyone else having problems clearing?

Yep, those W.E kit fining agents can be lame some times. When I do a W.E. kit I dont even use the supplied fining agents anymore, I just get a pack of SuperKleer and be done with it, it works almost over night and theres no boiling or anything. Ive had this happen to more then thenmist kits so its not just us using the extra sugar. It happened to my White Merlot and my Peach Ice wine also. I havent really made that many W.E kits as theres always something that pisses me off about this brand whether it be that taste or the fact that I have to throw out part of the kit and substitute it. I mostly buy RJSpagnols products now as I think most taste better and they also come with the SuperKleer fining agent.

Bruno.. Having the same problem with my WE Green Apple Riesling.. Been clearing for over a week and still very cloudy. I'll give it a day or 2 more and then add superkleer. I have up'd the ABV on this kit and other mists, but have never had this problem before. I transferred my SP after this kit and it's already almost crystal clear, without any fining agents! Like Wade just said, next time I will throw away the fining agent that comes with the kit, or maybe just buy the RJS version next time..

Last edited:
Riesling on left, Skeeter Pee on right for visual comparison.

picture.php

No change in GA Riesling, so last night I racked it to another carboy, and used a Kiesol/chitosan combo to try to clear it up.. Hopefully this works! SWMBO is getting very impatient waiting for this batch to finish.. lol

It will and probably alreaqdy has by now. It usually works very fast!

Latest posts

Back