Missoula Vinyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great looking crop! Looks like a lot of fun too. Your having a good year!

Thanks!
And, having a good time! I told Mike even though I've got the 6 1/2 gallons split between two carboys out in the garage (where it's much cooler - closer to 60*) the bubble airlocks sound like "two teen age hearts in the back seat of the car..." :db

Can't close your eyes to reality!

Well, I figured I'd better document this early warm weather and it's effects on emergence this year. As I have said in previous posts, we can almost guarantee a late spring frost in the first week of May. Weather has been early all over the West. We were in Arizona in February and experienced 90* temps which was great... but was their earliest recording of temperatures that high - in February. As Marty, Rich, Mike and others have observed in other posts, the buds are early this year. But, we can only watch, wait and see what happens!
First picture - Marachal Foch, then Leon Millot, Pinot Noir and Reisling. (Taken April 13)

MFoch2016Apr.jpeg

LMillot2016Apr.jpg

PNoir2016Apr.jpg

Reis2016APR.jpg

Wow, the Leon Millot really wants to grow right now. All three buds (primary, secondary and tertiary) are pushing. If they get large enough and then it freezes there won't be many buds left to pop out after the freeze.

Just sprayed the vines and my Merlots look exactly like your photo. Might even be a little further along and are opening. Cabs are behind those and the Syrah are about inbetween the others. Looks like all of last years new planting of Carmenere are alive and well, just starting to show good buds.

The weather chanel radar looked like you were getting the storm that just went through here. It's warming back up here so hang in there and that will get there in a day or so!!

I really love following this post thanks for updating it. Things are moving along here in Yakima too. We are also way above normal in temps too. With my rock "mulch" the vines want to go right now. We are a lot warmer than usual and most farmers are saying we are at least 2-3 weeks ahead of normal. I will post a few pic's of my varieties.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Finally last to come out of their winter slumber is the Cabernet Sauvignon

image.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Jason, you're really far along. I'll post some more pics later when I download them from the camera. The buds are breaking, and as Rich says, I notice many have all THREE buds pushing and trying to out-compete each other. But if we have that last freeze we normally get and they are all damaged, it will put everything several weeks behind.

It may be Earth Day (22 Apr) but it's too early for Montana wine grapes to look like this. My concern is that "last" hard frost which always results in some damage but as Rich observed a few posts back - the weather has all the primary and secondary buds being pushed hard.

First is Marachal Foch (2) - then Leon Millot (1) and Pinot Noir (2).

MFochBdBk1.jpg

MFochBdBk2.jpg

LMillotBdBk1.jpg

PNoirBdBk1.jpg

PNoirBdBk2.jpg

And while it may be early, they do look great (to me!)

Note the last PN picture above - I think that's an example of all three buds (primary and secondary) breaking at once. Where the first picture of the Foch shows an unbroken secondary bud that would likely survive a hard frost (as does the Edelweiss, below).

After the Edelweiss (1) are two Reisling pics.

The fourth is one of Foch again - as I took the picture I noticed movement at the top - the last one shows the visitor!

We have changing weather today and highs in the 50s tomorrow. I'll still worry about the frost, though for a couple weeks.

EdelwiBudBk1.jpg

ReislingBudBk1.jpg

ReislingBudBk2.jpg

AntMFoch2.jpg

Ant1.jpg

Dave, you are weeks ahead of me down here at the southern tip of the Rockies!

My Marquette is pushing now but Corot Noir and Noiret and still shut tight. Good luck buddy!

We are still a few weeks away from being out of the woods ourselves. Three years ago this week, this was a photo I took when the local cherry farmers were trying to save their crop. The ice protects the buds so the will bear fruit.

image.jpg

You mean like THIS?? :h

(THIS was May 5th, 2010)

I know I like pictures - so for my Southern Bud's (and everyone else too!) -- here is what it's like when they say, "Springtime in the Rockies!"
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

This is a Marachal Foch
20100505_113325_MayIce6251.jpg

And a Pinot Noir, three-year old vine
20100505_113241_MayIce6255.jpg

20100505_113048_MayIce6256.jpg

Almost looks pretty... in a perverse sorta way!
smiley18.gif

Last weekend veraison was just starting - literally maybe one or two purple berries on a vine - and then only on the Leon Millot. I pruned for what I hope is the last time, pulled some leaves, and decided to put on the bird net.

Maybe it is a little early but last year the birds got at least 25 percent of the crop.

Best were the 'bread clips." The pictures below show the white, large clips I bought at Wilson Orchard Supply in Pasco, Washington last spring. The green clip is a normal sized one from a loaf of bread. The bag holds 2,500 clips and I used maybe 400 at most, rolling the bottoms of the netting below and clipping together. I found last year the birds would fly at and peck at the bottom of the netting looking for any way to get in. I might have gotten away with fewer but I tried to leave no openings or even a hint of an opening. The second picture is taken from our deck showing each row covered with the netting. It took about two hours working by myself to place the netting on the top wire (specifically across the top of all posts to hold the net) and clip the bottom. I'm hoping this arrangement will do the job. After all, it is a constant learning experience!

BreadClip.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back