Missing item from kit? "Kieselsol"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BCbud

This is my 1st batch and I am on day 14. It is the 2nd to last ingredient to add. It may have been missplaced when I first started. Does any body know if a whine kit dealer would sell this "kieselsol" seperatley ?What happens if I don't use it? I bought the kit from the grocery store.

Kieselsol is a fining agent. You can do a couple of things.

1. Leave it out. your wine may take a bit longer to clear out, but it'll be just as good

2. leave it out and filter your wine before you bottle This is what I usually do.

3. Do a search on "finings" THings like eggwhite and gelatan will work. Crashing the temperature will help clear it also.

4. Buy another kit and liberate the kieselsol from that....of course, you'll have to repeat the process when you go to make that batch :D

I'm going to GUESS that you bought the kit at Overwaitea or Save-on-Foods. (In future please tell us the brand & variety when asking questions.)

Call the 800 number on the istructions. If you're nice they might send you one.

Since you apparently live in BC, it's tough to know if a local Home Brew shop will sell you a package. Some stores don't like to deal with home wine makers (especially those that shop at grocery stores), and don't stock supplies & equipment.

Steve

Latest posts

Back