Minimal leaking in variable capacity lid and dry airlock gasket base need help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artooks

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first year in winemaking and I am having some problems with minimal leaking in my variable capacity lid.
After racking everything went ok except setting up with the variable capacity lid, so I would like to explain how I did things in details so you can understand better. after cleaning and sanitizing the lid I installed the gasket aligning it perfectly, than I inserted the gasket to the dry airlock and installed it to the lid from the top so the gasket remained at the top, this is what I was told, then from underneath I screwed in the nut until it was fixed, then I made all the connections to the pump and I left the lid floating on top of the wine, I started to inflate it until there was minimal gap and aligned it 1 cm above the wine, then I started to pump it until it reached 0.8 - 0.9 bar shut the valve on the stem and locked the nut in pump, I saw a minimal bubbling where the vinyl gasket joins or stitched together, you can see that in the pictures, first I thought there was a leak but then it stopped, so my problem is there is a minimal leak actually I should not call it leak but rather wine moist on the vinyl gasket also at the base of the dry airlock gasket, they get wet slightly but not to the point of a leak, also I am checking the pressure, there is no loss of pressure, as the wine will rest for 2 months I am worried that it could create an oxidation problem, so what should I do at this stage ? should I leave it alone as is or is there something to be done to fix this problem, I asked a few people they told me to leave it alone as long as there is no pressure loss in the gasket they said no problem but I really want to be sure so can you guys please comment on this problem. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4518.jpeg
    IMG_4518.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4519.jpeg
    IMG_4519.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4520.jpeg
    IMG_4520.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 1
* UC Davis in the pilot plant uses a shroud on top of tanks then fills with inert gas to add another wall of protection.
* part of what you are dealing with is a dilution factor, ie with a large tank one can have some oxygen exposure which consumes reduced chemicals. For someone using glass carboys the percentage change is greater per milligram of oxygen, ,,, ie the comments which you already got “live with it”
* some oxygen exposure is acceptable with reds and as a result lots of folks here use wood barrels, AKA micro oxygenating/ consuming tannin/ making a smoother wine
(thoughts without direct gasket experience)

First thing to consider: Gasket type and material matter (black and clear (vinyl) gaskets were not as good as white gaskets (rubber) -- you seem to have a black gasket):

Ideally, your gasket should not leak. Only the blow off valve should show gas escape.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies the gasket that I am using is the clear vinyl one, what I am wondering is rolling Teflon tape where the tube meets does it help ? and inflating the tube barely just it reaches the green zone 0.5-0.6 bar does that help ? also changing the rotation of the lid can it help,

Can you please tell me once the lid is floating after a few pumps do I set it 1 cm above the wine or just leave it as is and pump until 0.6 bar ?

Thanks can you please give me a link ? which one are you talking about ?
So.... Maybe consider the rubber one instead.

Trying to hack the vinyl with tricks and tips may not be worth the time (and every day of delay will affect the wine)Th

I did give a link. In my comment above.

To a video.

If you do not see a link option:

Go to Youtube and search for "MoreWine!'s Variable Volume Lid Gasket Exposé"
Thanks what I meant was where can I purchase such a gasket I live in Turkey not US and my tank is an Italian brand Sansone the diameter of the tank is 47 cm and the diameter of the lid is 42 cm so there is 5 cm difference as far as I can see spiedel has a gasket which is 44cm can I still use it ?

Thanks what I meant was where can I purchase such a gasket I live in Turkey not US and my tank is an Italian brand Sansone the diameter of the tank is 47 cm and the diameter of the lid is 42 cm so there is 5 cm difference as far as I can see spiedel has a gasket which is 44cm can I still use it ?

Ah....

I understand. And I have similar pains. Living in Central Europe I can not buy many of the products stated here at this forum. A very different retail world in Europe form the USA.

And thus, I can not provide much advice, other than to suggest you ask at any local wine making supply store, searching online for options, or simply, for now and this year living with what you have, doing the best you can, and planing for next year to be maybe better. (been there, done that).

Latest posts

Back