Minijet Filter question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
So i have a few one gallon batches of wine going - the pads say they are good for up to 5 gallons - i am assuming that i will need a set of pads for each one gallon batch - no reuse - is that correct?

That is not true. I have actually done three 6 gallon batches with one set of filters. Make sure your wine is clear of all sediment first, then start with your whites and proceed to the reds if you have different colors of wine.

Lets see i have a choke cherry, strawberry, peach, apple spice, and caramel crab apple.

So once clear - i should start with the lightest color to darker?

Or is doing fruit wines a different story?

Keep in mind though that each successive wine passed through the filter pads will take on some characteristics of the previous ones. Also that this will be more pronounced with smaller batches.

I would still start with the lightest and finish with the darkest. Again the usage you get out of the filter will depend upon the sediment free wine your starting with. I was not a believer in these since my wine was always very clear without it. Well holy molly, the first time I filtered a clear white wine and saw it go from crystal clear to brilliantly clear, I was amazed. Is it necessary to do? No! But if you think you might want to enter a competition down the road, I would do it.

I just got done filtering a couple tonight. I needed to filter sterile filter 4 gallons of Rose when I finished that I decided to run 6 gallons of Skeeter P through it. About the first 3 gallons of SP were pretty much the same color as the Rose but by time it finished the 6 it was almost the color it was when I started and like Dan said perfectly clear.

Yeah - it does add a brilliant shine to it - i have done the last batches with it - but they were large batches - this is the first year doing fruit and small batches.

As always - thanks for the info!!!

Oh my!
does that mean that you can go both ways then??

Oh my!
does that mean that you can go both ways then??

Ahhh NO! I still do it straight by the book the way you and Wade taught me but I am tolerent of those who wish to do it differently. After all, we are all looking for the same result. Something that will put a smile on our face! :D

Latest posts

Back