MIlky looking juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaz

Reaction score
So I got a bucket of Chilean Chard Juice. It's numbers were fine and it has been fermenting right along, a bit on the slow side at .998 after 9 days but still seems to be going down. The one concern I have is the juice/wine is very white and milky looking in appearance? I haven't added anything to it other than yeast, and yeast nutrient, and all my gear was sanitized. I racked it out of the bucket on day 7. This is my first bucket of white juice, is this coloring normal, or something to be concerned about?

A clear juice will turn milky due to the activity of the yeast (CO2 forming etc). When the fermentation finishes yeast will die and the wine will clear again slowly.

Nothing to worry about.

Luc

Keep us posted on how it turns out. I have never ordered any of the Chilean wine products; maybe next year.

So what about watermelon wine being a light pink milky color. Will that clear up over time. I did my first rack after 7 days.

You would probably do better starting a new thread with some more details about what you have done, where you are, maybe a picture. This thread is from back in 2011 and other than Mike (Ibglowin) most of the other folks haven't been active on the forum for a long time.

Oftentimes watermelon wine spoils prior to fermentation being completed, not saying that's what happened with yours, might be just fine. Not enough information to form a good idea.

So what about watermelon wine being a light pink milky color. Will that clear up over time. I did my first rack after 7 days.

I have not personally made watermelong wine, but that sounds completely normal to me. It should clear up. Beware that watermelon wine is prone to spoilage (due, I believe, to its high pH).

EDIT: Craig beat me to it, and I agree with his further comments.

Latest posts

Back