Milk in my wine. What next?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellbee

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I added milk to my peach wine & wild pear wine and don't know what to do next...

They've both been been cloudy for 10 months, with no change. I don't want to use chemical finings and I read in my wine book to that a few drops of milk could help clear it. I did this and now I'm worried as the milk has congealed and is sitting at the bottom of my demi-john.

Can I leave it like that and for how long or will it spoil my wine?

Thanks

Did you have pectic enzyme in your wine peach is difficult to imposible without it. Just currious when I saw you didnt want to use chemicals, I have never heard of using milk have heard of bentonite, baked egg shells, geletin I would get it off the milk. If Im correct add it now, dont think of it as a chemical its like yeast.

bentonite is just clay. i use it and it works well.
rack into clean carboys and mix up some bentonite.
good luck

I have an orange juice wine in the same cloudy condition. Tried milk at 3 drops per gallon, that is what I read. It produced zero change, in both clairity and wine condition. Don't sweat the milk, the yeast will eat most of the milk and the alchol should handle any spoilage, assuming like me, you only put in a few drops per gallon. I have no pectin enzyme either and am really just tempted to bottle it cloudy to free up the carboy. This one has about 3 months and has already been racked off of about 4 inches of lees.

Hi,

I added milk to my peach wine & wild pear wine and don't know what to do next...

They've both been been cloudy for 10 months, with no change. I don't want to use chemical finings and I read in my wine book to that a few drops of milk could help clear it. I did this and now I'm worried as the milk has congealed and is sitting at the bottom of my demi-john.

Can I leave it like that and for how long or will it spoil my wine?

Thanks

Never heard of adding milk to clear. Now you can add a egg WHITE to clear. Alot of clearing agents are NOT chemical like Isinglass is from sea weed or fish I believe.
If you dont add Potassium Metabisulfite you should plan on drinking FAST. ALL wines have it

Latest posts

Back