Mildew on inside of cork?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotawine

Rotawine
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is mildew on the inside of the cork or not? No odors and the Chardonnay tastes great but when I give away bottles I’m afraid it might freak someone out. #1) Does it look like mildew and #2) If I want to re-cork do I risk oxidation? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 1
I’m not sure if this is mildew on the inside of the cork or not? No odors and the Chardonnay tastes great but when I give away bottles I’m afraid it might freak someone out. #1) Does it look like mildew and #2) If I want to re-cork do I risk oxidation? Thanks!
Hard to say that it’s bad. Is it an old bottle? If no bad taste or aroma, then I say let it be.

Mildew requires air, limited humidity and a carbon source. A cork is a carbon source but the inside of a bottle has limited air and 100% humidity. Wine also has low pH as 3.3 and SO so it is extremely unlikely that is mildew.
A quick microscopic exam would tell if there are filaments, typical morphology for molds.
A best guess is that tartaric acid has crystallized.

Mildew requires air, limited humidity and a carbon source. A cork is a carbon source but the inside of a bottle has limited air and 100% humidity. Wine also has low pH as 3.3 and SO so it is extremely unlikely that is mildew.
A quick microscopic exam would tell if there are filaments, typical morphology for molds.
A best guess is that tartaric acid has crystallized.
Thanks, I’ve posted this question in different venues and this is the most convincing I’ve seen. Thanks

Latest posts

Back