Midwest Newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wineknot

Junior
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I’ve been learning various aspects of our hobby since 2020. Maybe I watched too much The Walking Dead. When COVID hit I asked myself, “How do I make my family valuable so we don’t get kicked out of the survival colony? I don’t have a lot of guns. Can’t hunt. Can’t repair small engines. Can’t farm. I know! I’ll make booze. Good booze - nobody kicks that guy and his family out.” So, it started with Sake (don’t ask) went to some ethically questionable high test experiments… then when I figured the world wasn’t actually going to end, and I didn’t need “hand sanitizer” anymore, I started making wine, kombucha and water kefir. Fruit wine is my speciality - mostly because my very finicky wife loves it, and that makes me very happy!

Now it’s therapeutic. I hope to keep learning here.

-R

I know you said "don't ask" about the sake, but I just have to ask. How did you start with sake and how did it turn out? I am interested.

I am a wine maker, but also do some fruit wines since we have peach, quince and pomegranate trees in the back yard. I lived in Japan 25 years working for investment banks and had plenty of Ninhonshu 日本酒 in my days. I would like to try making some. It is fascinating because it is a dual fermentation with both bacteria and yeast.

Any thoughts, feedback appreciated.
Dennis

Hey, welcome to WMT!
Always great to have another Ohioan.

Oh, and about the world not ending - I wouldn't completely discount that possibility just yet. In the the meantime, making booze AND another skill will make you extra valuable to the colony. Don't dawdle adding that other skill. 😉

Welcome from the Northern part of the state (Kent)! This is a great site to learn and (for me) on how to fix some mistakes or stop myself from making a mistake.

Welcome to the forum, Wineknot. Enjoy! What are you making currently or hoping to make next?

I just got a case of 50 quince's thinking about making some vino using Lalvin ec 1118 sacc. bayanus yeast as that's what I got. Any out there do quince wine?

I just got a case of 50 quince's thinking about making some vino using Lalvin ec 1118 sacc. bayanus yeast as that's what I got. Any out there do quince wine?

Welcome to WMT @ricrocs .

,,, this is an old thread so a quince question may get better response in a new thread about quince.
I have used quince in apple wine/ cyser for extra aromatics. It is an extremely hard to press fruit so I wind up soaking it in the apple juice. You could process/ juice quince like apple.
Here in the Midwest they run $2 each, WOW a case!

I've got a quince/pomegranate

I've got a quince/pomegranate wine that is still aging. I have a quince in the back yard.

I cut them up, removed the cores (did not peel) pulsed them in a food processor, then boiled for 15 minutes. Once cooled, I added them to the water/sugar mixture along with the pomegranate and fermented. It fermented nicely. I was cautioned not to boil for more than 15 minutes because it releases too much pectin and cause a haze in the wine.

I will let you know how it turns out in April.

Latest posts

Back