Middle, TN winer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnR

Junior
Reaction score
Been doing this for over 6 years, I prefer fruit wines from my trees and vines. I really enjoy trying new things, new blends.
JohnR

Welcome! What all do you have growing around your place that you make into wine? I just planted a couple apple trees this spring for my wife. I hope to get the excess apples for wine once they get established.

Growing in the yard

Blue berries 2 old bushes, 4 young bushes, 2 starts The stinking rabbits are hard on the young bushes.
Red Raspberries 30 ft long wide row 1/2 everbear & 1/2 late season
Wild Muscadines 1 old vine, I have layered 2 vines every year of the last 4 years, Now I get about 60 lbs per year but that will be going up very fast.
2 2year old scuppernog vines not bearing well yet
3 Peach Trees
2 wild pear trees in the fence row.
Jalapenos, Tomatoes, Onions from the garden
Wild black berries all around.
Last year planted 6 persimmons and 6 paw paw trees
Just ordered 4 Black raspberry vines, 2 more scuppernog vines, 2 blueberry bushes and 4 boysenberry vines from Isoms in Georgia.
Now if I can just find the cherry trees I want!
It gets a little crowded around here.
JohnR

Yep your right once you get hooked on growing things it seems there isn't enough room anymore. I've got around 40 + cold climate grape vines growing at my place and still look at how can I squeeze more in. As a matter of fact I've got 4 more vines on order for next spring myself.

Great to have you aboard John. Wish I had all that growing in my yard, I did get 18 Black Currant bushes this fall that I transplanted and hopefully they take well and supply me good. i also have a few Blackberry bushes that started this year wild on their own that I can hopefully train to give me enough for a 6 gallon batch this year. Otherwise I have to outsource my stuff.

I know how that feels, I am about to put my place on graph paper to try to figure out what ornamental tree or trees have to go so I can squeeze in an elderberry thicket.

Im doing the elderberries next year in the middle of the balck currants. My back just couldnt handle any more digging this year!

Enjoy the fruit wines from my yard, too. Have my second large harvest of blackberries this year along with my grapes. Am now harvesting my first muscadine batch (from 4 muscadine plants I put out 3 years ago). Have a LOT of muscadines on the vines. Can't wait to try my first batch of muscadine wine.

Am also in mid-TN, John (actually, more south central, in Columbia). Where you from?

I am in Silver Point, TN . Just west of Cookeville. Got my black raspberries and boysen berries planted last spring and they have done pretty good this year. I plan to put up posts and wire for them this winter to keep them up off the ground.

Danny, there are several home wine makers in Middle TN that have started an organized effort to have meetings, tastings, share info and just get together. No big deal but its fun. If you are interested PM me and I will give you some more info. I know they will be meeting sept 11th but it looks like I will have to work. I think it will be very close to you.

Started picking muscadines yesterday, they are big and juicy but a little short on flavor this year. The heat wrecked my late season raspberries.

welcome john! drive through cookeville when going on vacation. beautiful area! let me know when u find a good cherry tree source. i've been looking around for just the right one (or 2, or 3, lol)

Latest posts

Back