Middle section of cane has no shoots

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chingchongly

Junior
Reaction score
I have a third year backyard grapevine. I let it go wild last year and did not have a trellis set up for it until today. It has put on about 1 month of growth. I noticed on one of the canes that I want to place on my fruiting wire, there is a middle section of no shoots (just buds that are refusing to shoot out for some reason). Are they just going to be delayed, or will they not leaf out? Should I expect fruits from these nodes? Or should I just prune off that whole section and along with it, the fruiting shoots further down the cane?

See photo below

Attachments

• Screenshot_16.png
    Screenshot_16.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 4
I try to have a shoot every 4 inches sometimes for no reason I have a blank spot. When I prune in the dormant season I will cut back to where it it has buds and lay down a new cane. No problem just a learning process

It gets kinda frustrating sometimes, dang grapes grow everywhere but where you want them to! I have several cordons that are void of buds for a distance, but the darn things will put buds all over the trunks, but not where you need them!

What varietal is your vine? Cabernet Sauvignon can have non fruitful buds around the sixth bud on a cane. Then the end buds will push. That's how the auxins work. Over time this cordon will mature and those buds may start to push. Using lateral shoots off a cane can have more fruitful buds than using a single cane to produce a cordon.

Latest posts

Back