Mid Atlantic North East Meet Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering how many would be interested in a formal Meet Up. Thought February would give everyone plenty of time to plan and schedule. Would be far enough past the holiday season and before the spring grapes arrive. It seems there are alot of us in the Mid Atlantic/Northeast Region but of course everyone would be welcome. I was thinking a Saturday and possibly a Saturday night stay over so we could really enjoy ourselves. Philly seems to be a central location but up for suggestions. If there is enough interest I will be happy to make the arrangements.

No real reason, I was just being selfish. Also thought if it was localized we could bring as much wine as we wanted. Not sure how many bottles you are allowed to bring on a plane or the cost. If we had enough interest I would go anywhere. Many of us comminucate on a regular basis and I thought it would be nice to meet face to face. Heck, if February works out Flordia might be nice but that would be more then an overnight stay.

No real reason, I was just being selfish.

I meant "PA is called the Keystone State" for a reason. As in:

Pennsylvania's nickname is "The Keystone State" because it was the middle colony of the original thirteen colonies, and because Pennsylvania has held a key position in the economic, social, and political development of the United States.
( https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/pennsylvania/state-nickname/keystone-state ).

Harrisburg or Scranton , PA? Go East or West hit 81 then go North or South.

Central Philly is about 2 hours from me, Bal-ti-more or Washington are closer, Pittsburgh is about 3 1/2 hours down the turnpike, depending on where in the 'burgh. I'm in as long as my oldest isn't on leave, and I'm alive and kicking...

My house is open, but there isn't much floor space for sleeping bags, it's only a rancher. But I do have four grills...

That could be fun. Maybe we could meet at a winery? I'm fairly flexible in February.

Some friends and I recently toured Virginia wineries and had a great time. They were in Charlottesville, North Garden, Gordonsville, Monticello, etc. One was Barboursville Vineyards, http://bbvwine.com/ and I bought a bottle of their Paxxito wine. They have a drying building on site, and they make the Paxxito from those dried grapes. Here's the description:
Moscato Ottonel and Vidal grapes are harvested young, to capture the fruit’s acidity, and in a traditional Passito method, allowed to air dry and raisinize on racks open to outdoor ventilation for months, concentrating flavors and sugars. A lengthy fermentation is induced naturally in older barriques, where aging continues for another year, in protracted lees contact, continuously stirred. Incomparably vigorous and luscious, every vintage is destined for lengthy cellaring.

Excellent idea! From the comments, I am thinking that perhaps the NE/MidAtlantic region may be too large. I live in Lancaster PA, so am thinking more of a Central PA group?

I kind of thought if I left it open for suggestions everyone would want it to be near them. My thoughts were to make it a mini getaway, everyone stay at the same hotel, book a conference room, bring wine to gift and drink and just have a good time with people of similar interests. Not just wine but a lot us us have similar craft and skillset interests as well. Someone is going to be lucky and have it near them but I was thinking a central location were noone would have to drive more then 3 or 4 hours. I could have picked Virginia but was trying to be sensitive to everyone who had an interest.

Fred, don't get discouraged. Organizing a meeting can be frustrating; everyone has an opinion as to when and where it should be held whereas only a few have the drive to get it done. I've experienced this in business with all the attendees working in the same office and in my charitable work with everyone in the same town.

Pick a place, establish a date, and communicate the time and location information, costs, and agenda you propose to the group. You'll also need to figure out the minimum number of attendees needed to cover the meeting costs.

People respond better when they have something concrete in front of them.

I think Bill has the right idea. I suggest Hazelton, PA. It is 2 hrs from Philly, 2.5 from New York and Baltimore, 3 hrs from CT, and < 4hrs from DC and NoVa. Plus the drive from all those places is NOT up and down 95, i.e., is on relatively pleasant rural interstates.

Similarly, Allentown, PA is 1 hr from Philly, 2 hrs from NY, 2.5 from Baltimore, 2.75 from CT, 3 from DC and 3.5 from NoVa.

Harrisburg is 1.5 from Baltimore, 2 from Philly and DC, 2.5 from NoVa, 3 from NY, 4 from CT.

I'm going to pick Allentown, PA. If you notice it is the furthest away for me. There is a meadery nearby that has good reviews. I still think sometime in February works best so we can trade secrets for our spring wine. Many of you have family commitments but would like to make it a Saturday night stay over with everyone in the same hotel. I can try to set up some daytime excursions for those interested. I'll try to find something with a meeting room or allow us to do a private party somewhere in the hotel. I think if we can get enough interested it make for a very nice evening. If I could get some kind of a count of those of you interested I'll start seeing what kind of deals I can find. Hoping we can get close to 10 to make it worthwhile. Thanks @sour_grapes for the milage below.

Similarly, Allentown, PA is 1 hr from Philly, 2 hrs from NY, 2.5 from Baltimore, 2.75 from CT, 3 from DC and 3.5 from NoVa.

Latest posts

Back