Mid Atlantic North East Meet Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opened a bottle of the Norton Blend yesterday. It's drinking very nice for a 10 month old wine. In my opinion its short on oak and the tannins could be a little bigger. I have the remaining 5 gallons of Norton with a med toast american spiral so this should help. If you all think it is OK I'll blend the rest and maybe put it in a new barrel to get the oak up a little. Please let me know and I know it's Norton an it's not a favorite to all.

I opened a bottle of the Norton Blend yesterday. It's drinking very nice for a 10 month old wine. In my opinion its short on oak and the tannins could be a little bigger. I have the remaining 5 gallons of Norton with a med toast american spiral so this should help. If you all think it is OK I'll blend the rest and maybe put it in a new barrel to get the oak up a little. Please let me know and I know it's Norton an it's not a favorite to all.

I liked your Norton bend back in June, I might have to open the bottle you gave me and refresh my memory to be able to give an opinion.

Ok just finished a glass of the Norton blend. Decent fruity nose. Like the dark plum like fruit. Somewhat of a coffee flavor deep in there and some spice upfront. I definitely think it could benefit from some more oak and yes the tannins/mouthfeel could be bigger. On it's own this is good, I think I would go with some more oak and aging. Blended with the right wine might take it up another notch.

Since it's young I will taste another glass tomorrow night and give another recap.

Fred, I didn't have any wine last night. I will take a second tasting tonight of the Norton.

Thanks, what you gave me so far is great, confirms my thoughts. Got one to throw at you though. My SA Cab juice bucket is really tannic. Even though it's only a few months old would you consider blending with it or just doctor it up the blend with oak and tannins. No matter what I would definatley bench test it.

Thanks, what you gave me so far is great, confirms my thoughts. Got one to throw at you though. My SA Cab juice bucket is really tannic. Even though it's only a few months old would you consider blending with it or just doctor it up the blend with oak and tannins. No matter what I would definatley bench test it.

That actually sounds like a good wine blend with it.

Sometime this week I going to reserve the rooms at Split Rock. I think I'll start with 10 like last year. I'll reserve them at the Lodge and try to get us on the same side of the second floor. Let me know if you are planning on cominng. The 6 of us such a great time I can't imagine what 10 or more would be like. I'm going to post this on the other thread to make such those interested see it. Also, if you want the main facility or a cabin please let me know and for those of you that didn't come last year there is a 2 night minimum.

https://www.splitrockresort.com/things-to-do/events/wine-festival/

I'm posting this here to make sure anyone interested sees it. When responding please respond in the thread -

OK, I just spoke to Split Rock and they, and rightfully so, are questioning our 10 room group rate since we only had 6 last year which they still gave us the group rate. They want me to give a credit card which they will charge for the rooms that are not booked. I really don't want to do that even though I believe everyone from last year will come again and assume we will get additional folks this year. If you would, please confirm whether or not you will be booking and please promote it to others you know live in a reasonable distance.

Please respond in the following thread.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/2nd-annual-m-a-n-e-event.66003/

Latest posts

Back