Mid Atlantic North East Meet Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to start planning next years event. Keep the time and place ideas coming.

Well hold on now. Not just yet. Because that’s gonna be a whole new thread! I am surely not ready to move on from the Sea of chambouricin. Had to work today and Just waiting for some free time to actually tell it like is from my perspective! Hard to plan next years with this year’s hangover still lingering.

That be mine. Done by the book (except sorbate), is 28 months and 2 days old when you tried it. Glad you liked it, @jgmann67's wife likes that one best out of what she's tasted of mine.

I have the same kit to try and extended maceration on in the near future.

Oh, and thanks for all of the wonderful pictures. I didn't take a single one the whole time I was there (probably too inebriated to work the camera built into my phone).

Well the brunello was a winner. Thanks on the photos sometimes we take too many. Enjoyed the beer talk as well as the wine talk.

Learned to appreciate 3 grapes I never would have thought I would like from this trip. Norton via Fred's blend, Cabernet Franc and Chambourcin.

Also enjoyed the Amorones, some Rhone, Cranberry, there was something with coconut and many others from our home made tastings. Had good wines both nights.

First of all, just wanna say thank you to Fred for having the foresight. Fred, this was an awesome idea and I’m so glad I decided to take part.
And just like a new winemaker attempting their 1st wine with all the learning curves, by batch 2 and 3 many things just become 2nd nature- the 2nd annual “mid Atlantic northeast meet up” (as you’ve dubbed it) will be much easier knowing what to expect and account for- wherever it ends up! I’m already brainstorming over here.
And the crew made sure to fill me in on all the juicy details of what I missed on Saturday- sounded like quite the night! I refuse to allow another one of those happen without me being there!
I just showed Heather these pics and its impossible to look at them and not smile. Paul, pics are legit man. It’s almost like you know what your doing!
I wish I got to meet the rest of the PA crew- but I guess that just gives me something to look forward for next time.
I’ll revisit this thread tomorrow and actually talk turkey. Because I sure tasted a hella lot of wines. And my favs of the weekend were not had at any winery tent either.

You didn't happen to take one that highlighted the back of my wife's sweatshirt, if you know what I mean? I could use it as insurance if I ever needed to get approval for, say a small wine press or crusher/destemmer. :D

hehehe....Unfortunately I wasn't shooting at that precise moment, you'll have to find some other motivation for the purchases.

Craig, my SA Cab from this spring is also very promising. I just hope it finishes near as good as Paul's. FYI though there is no comparison between the all grape and the juice bucket with the 7 lugs of skins. The all grape is substantially bigger with a very noticeable higher tannin structure. FWIW the grape batch has been in a barrel for about a month with about 200 ml of evaporation.

Real sorry you couldn't make it, it was honestly a lot more fun then I expected. Everyone acted like they knew each other forever. Oh, and the hand signal was the idea of our professional photograhper Lori.

It really made me laugh. I have a group of friends in the area and we've known each other over 30 years. We get together every couple months and very often, there's one of us who can't make it for some reason. That person is always sent a pic of the rest of us giving the 'salute'.

Back