Metatartaric acid?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
In my RJS EnPrimeur Super Tuscan a package of Metatartaric acid. 2.3g came with the kit. But I cannot find on the instruction sheet how to use it?

Metatartaric acid is an oligomeric lactone form of tartaric acid that helps to prevent precipitation of potassium bitartrate (wine diamonds). I think it is best added to the wine after filtering before bottling.

Note - it does not alter the flavor and does not change the acidity as far as I know.

John-
I had the same issue with the same kit last week. It is on the second page of the instructions 3/4 down the page.
However unlike everything else that is important on the instructions this is not in bold text.

I am moving to secondary on mine. One of the best smelling fermi gratin I have ever had. I just wanted I dunk my head in the bucket!

I had the same issue/ same kit. I read about putting it in after filtering and before bottling. I also read that the compound doesn't continue to help after 6 months. In other words, if you plan to age for longer than 6 months in the bottle, then you're better off with a cold stabilization in secondary and forget the additive.

Personally, I don't mind the crystals. For centuries it was considered the signature of a fine wine.

Latest posts

Back