Other Merlot wine kit HELP!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lepidgeon

Junior
Reaction score
Started a Merlot kit 2 days ago, room temp was 19. Now room temp went up to 24, and the merlot hit 31C.... what now?

The room temp I'm assuming is the second fridge we added downstairs. It usually hovers around 19-20.

Thanks

Nothing to worry about, it should be fermenting away. Keep stirring it daily and you should be dry in approx. 6 - 8 more days.

I've used a wet T-shirt around my fermenter with a fan to cool the fermenter and slow fermentation.

For some reason all my thermometers are reading off as of today... they are all around 33-36c (IR Thermometer, electric thermoter and indoor outdoor thermometer). I had an older one with a needle and it reads 21, so does the temp strip i just bought. Wonder why they are all off :\

That temp shouldnt kill 1118 as long as it doesnt get too much warmer, ec1118 optimal fermentation temp is 15c-25c but you inoculate it in 40c-43c water, the ec1118 data sheet says you shouldnt ferment higher than 30c but i cant see anywhere where it say the yeast will die at that temp.

Last edited:
I've had one of my kits go up to that temp for a few days, during its most active fermentation, and showed no signs of ill effect in the finished wine. EC-1118 was also the yeast I was using.

A variation on the wet tshirt contest is a swamp cooler. Stick the fermenter in a 15 gal plastic rope tub, add water and a couple frozen two litter plastic bottles.

Actually i think you will be fine as the others have indicated. Stir daily and take SG readings to tell how the fermentation is progressing.

Back