Other Merlot recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FABulousWines

Le Vigneron Heureux
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a merlot as my next kit. I am considering the following and would like some feed back on these or other high end kits:

RJS Winery Series Washington Merlot
CC Showcase Washington Merlot

If you have made either of these and would care to comment I would appreciate it!

I've never made a Merlot but Winemaker Magazine rates the "Cellar Craft Washington State Merlot" as #8 on their top 100 list.

I just picked up a Wine Expert Selection Original Merlot kit yesterday. I've had good results from their cab/merlot and chardonnay kits.

I've never made a Merlot but Winemaker Magazine rates the "Cellar Craft Washington State Merlot" as #8 on their top 100 list.

I just picked up a Wine Expert Selection Original Merlot kit yesterday. I've had good results from their cab/merlot and chardonnay kits.

Well that is impressive! Thanks for the link; I have bookmarked it for future reference. Interesting that there were 3 Mist kits in the top 10...I know they don't get a lot of love from some wine makers, but my wife sure enjoys them.

Don't we have to question a list that ranks Peach Chardonnay #3 and RJ Spagnols En Primeur Italian Amarone #91:?

Did I read that link correctly? It's from Dec 06/Jan 07? I think I have an issue of WineMaker around here from Dec 12/Jan 13 with a top 100 list. I'm curious to compare...

I wish I could advise based on experience, but I've got the WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot bulk aging. All the reviews I was able to find on it were positive, so I'm hopeful. Hopefully others will chime in with firsthand knowledge!

Edited to add... I just looked at the issue I mentioned. Looks like the top 100 kits of 2012 included 2 Merlots... #61 WineXpert Selection Estate Series Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot (since rebranded to "Eclipse") and #89 RJ Spagnols En Primeur Talagante Chilean Merlot. Don't know if that's helpful, but just thought I'd add that info ;-)

Last edited:
I have not made it yet, but I have purchased a RJS Winery Series Merlot w/ Merlot skins - Washington:h

TommBomb said:
Can you post a link to the 2012or 13 top 100 kits please?

Sorry, I don't have a link :( I have a physical copy of the magazine issue. I bet it's online somewhere though!

I have made both. The CC is still bulk aging at 8 months old.

The WS Washington Merlot is in the bottle but I don't think it is ready yet at 10 months. I can tell that it is going to be awesome though...

The guy at my LHBS told me that people were not very impressed by the CC merlot. Contrary to the rest of the CC showcase line, the results were slightly disappointing. I bought mine at a steep discount, so I guess I just had to try it out myself!

OK, thanks. As I haven't received much other feedback, I will probably go with the WS. I was sort of leaning that way anyway but needed the nudge. I appreciate the post!

I was thinking of making a Merlot for my next wine. I had the same question, I am leaning towards the WS Washington Merlot, too. I have had good luck with the WS series for far and I made a CC Showcase Amarone before and it is my favorite (so far). But for the price difference and that I have made more WS kits - I think I am going with the WS Merlot.

Then we can compare notes as I did pick up the WS Washington Merlot. It is sitting here waiting on a primary to free up. My wife has really latched onto this hobby and has a number of requests in the queue, mostly sweetish early drinkers. Actually thinking of doing a Dragon Blood soon too. I picked up an extra carboy this week, so it may get started soon....

I have a Dragon Blood ready to bottle - if I can find the time. Just bottled some Skeeter Pee - it turned out very well. Have 6 carboys on the go and 4 are ready to be bottled anytime but I can't seem to get around to it. But better do something soon - have 3 kits on deck and I want to get a Merlot kit too.

I guess I am in the minority here but I have done regular kits and Island Mist/Breeze kits. By far the most popular and most requested is the Blackberry Merlot mist kit. The only change I make is adding about 4 pounds of sugar when mixing in primary fermenter to increase the alcohol content a bit. My last kit I was offered $15 per bottle to make it for holiday gifts for a corporate office. It is not too dry, beautiful color and something everyone likes.

Attaching a photo of the last batch.

295649_10151590892355832_803915101_n.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of a Bordeaux style kit, but pairing blackberry flavor with a Merlot sounds good. It seems like we had a bottle of something like that recently and we liked it.

Back