Meritage.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario Dinis

Reaction score
Guys, I need some suggestions. I'm making from juice 6 gallons each of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petite Sirah and Chardonnay. I want to make a Meritage. Yes, I know Chardonnay and Petite Sirah do not go in it. I do have 6 bottles left of my 2020 Malbec and an empty 5 gallon carboy. Any suggestions for a blend? Ratios?
Thanks.

Mario, IMO it's not generic ratios but what each individual wine has to offer. A certain ratio from one vintage will not necessarily produce the same wine as the next and another person's blend may not be suitable to your taste. Blending that many wine will probably take a few days. In 2018 I did a 6 wine blend and at a certain point I got palate fatigue and just had to stop for the day. In the end I was happy with what I came up with but I'm not convinced it was the best blend.

If I were to do it again I would start with finding the best blend of Cab and Merlot then work with the others to fine tune it. Good luck!

Mario, IMO it's not generic ratios but what each individual wine has to offer. A certain ratio from one vintage will not necessarily produce the same wine as the next and another person's blend may not be suitable to your taste. Blending that many wine will probably take a few days. In 2018 I did a 6 wine blend and at a certain point I got palate fatigue and just had to stop for the day. In the end I was happy with what I came up with but I'm not convinced it was the best blend.

If I were to do it again I would start with finding the best blend of Cab and Merlot then work with the others to fine tune it. Good luck!
Thank you. I just don't want to get drunk bench testing 🤣

I agree with Fred -- there is no magic formula. The best Chateau in Bordeaux change their mix every year depending on what that year's fruit is.

His advice to blend the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon first is great! I would start with 3 blends: 75% CS/25% M; 50% CS/50% M, and 25% CS/ 75% M. Blind taste test the 3 and pick the favorite.

DO NOT over think this. You will drive yourself insane. And get blasted. Blasted is ok (if you are not driving), going insane is not.

Then take the winning blend and add in small amounts of Cabernet Franc (5/10/15%), again blind tasting.

Exclude or not exclude the Petite Sirah? How much of a purist do you need to be? Is it more important to be a purist, or to blend a better wine? Not that adding Petite Sirah will make a better wine, but it might.

My 2020's are a Meritage blend (66.7% Merlot, 33.3% CS, CF, Malbec, Petit Verdot), and Meritage Plus (40% Merlot, 40% Zinfandel, 20% previous blend). Honestly, the Meritage Plus is the better wine, even if the difference is minimal.

In the end I was happy with what I came up with but I'm not convinced it was the best blend.
Man, do NOT torture yourself. The enemy of "good" is not "bad", the true enemy is "better". Chasing "better" is a lose/lose/lose situation. If you like your result, you have won!

I agree with Fred -- there is no magic formula. The best Chateau in Bordeaux change their mix every year depending on what that year's fruit is.

His advice to blend the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon first is great! I would start with 3 blends: 75% CS/25% M; 50% CS/50% M, and 25% CS/ 75% M. Blind taste test the 3 and pick the favorite.

DO NOT over think this. You will drive yourself insane. And get blasted. Blasted is ok (if you are not driving), going insane is not.

Then take the winning blend and add in small amounts of Cabernet Franc (5/10/15%), again blind tasting.

Exclude or not exclude the Petite Sirah? How much of a purist do you need to be? Is it more important to be a purist, or to blend a better wine? Not that adding Petite Sirah will make a better wine, but it might.

My 2020's are a Meritage blend (66.7% Merlot, 33.3% CS, CF, Malbec, Petit Verdot), and Meritage Plus (40% Merlot, 40% Zinfandel, 20% previous blend). Honestly, the Meritage Plus is the better wine, even if the difference is minimal.

Man, do NOT torture yourself. The enemy of "good" is not "bad", the true enemy is "better". Chasing "better" is a lose/lose/lose situation. If you like your result, you have won!
Sound advice. Thanks.

Back