Member Bio’s

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone! I am the girlfriend of a winemaker, cbwenger. I was hoping maybe someone could offer me some help. We were out in the finger lakes this weekend and I saw these neat wine cork wreaths, but have no idea how to go about making it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2005-08-05_151007_Untitled-1.jpg

Hi everyone. Another Newbie here..Just an ole Hillbilly from Arkansas. I typically wear overalls, have a patch over one eye and ride a Mexican jackass but in this picture, taken on a cruise to Alaska my wife said i cleaned up pretty good.

On the serious side. I am looking forward to my journey into wine making and think I have found a great group of people to help me on my journey. I am going to operate on the philosophy that "My dumb questions will be more tolerable than my dumb mistakes"

Hi Waldo,

I know some real nice Hillbillys, I'm one myself. You will find this to be a great forum with lots of nice people to talk to and lots of expert advice.

Ramona

Thanks Ramona....I am looking forward to the experience and making some new friends

I would like to welcome you as well. Hillbillys or City Slickers, we are all just happy wine makers here! In fact, the more wine we consume, the happier we are! Maybe I should have said the more we make, the happier we are. Oh well! Welcome!
smiley36.gif

Thanks Hippie.....I live in a small community called Salem, just north of Benton

Waldo! A winey welcome to you! (Not to be confused with a whiney welcome!)

We're glad to have you here and we love to answer questions. I haven't seen any dumb questions here, and you shouldn't worry about asking whatever is on your mind. We're kind of like the theme song from the Dukes of Hazard, "Just some good ol' boys" (and girls). It's just that someof us are forced to live in the city.
smiley2.gif
Please always remember and never forget,we were ALL new to making wine at some point. (Except of course, that Jesus guy, he had a really cool system, but I think he may have had some outside help!)

And now we all know where Waldo is, Salem, AR.

Salem, just north of Benton? The only Salem I know is in Sharp County, and the only Benton I know is SW of LR. Those 2 places are about 150 miles apart or better. Which is it?

Benton just SW of Little Rock. We actually have a Benton address but the community is not a part of Benton proper and is called Salem. I spent 25 1/2 years with Arkansas Power & Light Company building substations and high voltage power lines all over Arkansas before being "downsized" in 1991 and worked in Batesville several times. A great community. Hopefully we maybe can get to meet someday soon. We always make a fall foliage excursion up your way.

Won't be much to see this year with the drought up in this part of the state.

Ahhh Hippiebut this trip may be as not so much to see as to taste !!

Thanks Polish....I learned a long time ago it it better to walk through life with your head high and your hopes and dreams even higher.

I may try and buy me some land up around where Hoippie lives and plant me a gourd farm..On good thing about gourds is that if you work them, they will die
smiley4.gif

LMAO!

Better yet, buy some old poor hill land and plant a big vineyard and a big bramble. We have plenty of migrant workers up here for cheap labor and they know all about farming!

smiley20.gif

Ok Hippie..those were not typos in my previous posts....The results of racking new wines it was...I dont have this siphoning down pat yet andI ended up drinking quite a bit getting the flow going..Any hints, tips, tricks on siphoning. Blackberry is in the carboy and racking peach.

2005-08-07_170851_Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by: Waldo

OIC. Well you need a bucket with a spigot an inch off the bottom and you need a racking cane for carboy to carboy racking. I have a feeling you like racking the hard way.
smiley36.gif
Do you know where Fermentables is in North Little Rock? Look it up in the phone book or call information if you have never been there. It is a little tricky to find, kinda outta the way. They seem to be nice, helpful folks, and knowledgeable about wine. I don't drive 100 miles there to get anything, but I have stopped by when I was in LR for other reasons. I would soon use George and get it on my doorstep!

Edited by: Hippie

Waldo said:
...I don't have this siphoning down pat yet andI ended up drinking quite a bit getting the flow going...

I thought you were supposed to get a mouthful of wine when siphoning.
smiley2.gif
I thoroughly taste every batch when I rack. Doesn't everyone?

I know I do. I taste every chance I get, from start to finish through bottle aging. A person might learn something doing that.

smiley16.gif

Back