Melon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistadude

Diabolical GENIUS!!!
Reaction score
I am planing on making a Watermelon Green apple wine here in a couple days, and I remember hearing from you fine people that melon juice is quick to spoil. Now I was wondering should I make a yeast starter, or should I start the apple juice first then add the watermelon the like 24-36 hours later.

lol Never mind...I think i just figured out the answered my own question.

I was thinking that if I did the second option, I would not have an accurate SG reading lol...so Starter it is lol. I shouldn't plan a batch with only 2 1/2 hours sleep. damn graveyard shift lol

Last edited:
Actually i dont think thats a bad idea, just start the apple with a relly low sg and once it starts keep tabs on how much it dropped which shouldnt be much and bring the sg up with the melon juice. Dont go any higher then 1.085 or you will lose the watermelon flavor easily.

Ok I will try it! and thanks for the tip about the SG. I was planning on 1.1 at first but 1.085 does sound safer. Now that I think of it not a lot of fermentation will happen in 24-36 hours. So here is how I will try it (input and suggestions very welcome:D)

juice the apples
add the juice, sugar, and water up to an SG about 1.065
add campden
wait 24 hours
Add yeast (measure SG)
wait 24 hours
add melon juice Measure SG (if need be add sugar to reach 1.085)
let the magic happen :D

sound good?

Heres what I would do.
Juice the apples and add ascorbic acid to this juice to prevent discoloring as qpple juice can do fast.
Add juice, sugar, water, and meta and then take sg and that 1.065 sounds about right.
Wait 12 hors and add pectic enzyme.
Wait another 12 hours and add yeast.
Wait till must is fermenting then add watermelon juice and go with 1.085 no higher.
I like a goo balst of alc. myeslf sometimes too but fruit wine is not where it belongs as it masks too much flavor.

Con, I think a goo balst is when the SG is higher than 1.085, just mixed a batch up of red concord grape concentrate tonight, my starting SG is 1.110, gonna have a verp lurp for sure!!!(HeeHee)All take care.
Troy

Good blast! Sorry, I have been taking some pain pills for my back but the problem with that is once I do that my back feels better but my fingers dont work properly! :)
I usually call at least 13 hors myself!

Yeah what ever Con said !! We could always blame it on the "testing". We have to test it. No test pilot has landed as many times as he/she has taken off!! Kudos to that guy in NY, can I say Frickin A? That is skill.
Troy(pilot)

Back