Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Pinotage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Hunwick

Aspiring Somm
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm a Winexpert (occasional Vineco) kit maker, but I decided this year I would try making one of Mosti Mondiale's 100% juice (no water required) limited kits, with added grapeskins. It cost a pretty penny, but I think it will be worth it!

Does anyone have experience with these kits? I understand I'll be getting a pail instead of a bag this time, but I don't know what will be different or not.

Cheers!

Hi folks!

I'm a Winexpert (occasional Vineco) kit maker, but I decided this year I would try making one of Mosti Mondiale's 100% juice (no water required) limited kits, with added grapeskins. It cost a pretty penny, but I think it will be worth it!

Does anyone have experience with these kits? I understand I'll be getting a pail instead of a bag this time, but I don't know what will be different or not.

Cheers!
Pinotage is a hard wine to work with because a lot can go wrong leading to extremely poor flavors and paint thinner like notes. So just ferment it right, give it nutrients and hope for the best. If they included 1118 yeast toss it and go with something else like RC-212.

Hi folks!

Cheers!
Hi Jon,

I made the Mosti Meglioli Amarone with both skins and raisins. It turned out very well, I shared it with some folks at a WMT meet-up and they felt it had more body and liked it over other Amarone kits. So I feel like the Meglioli's are worth the cost.

That said, it would be good to know whether you like pinotage before you invest. I made a batch from grapes and bought several commercial examples - in the name of research - to be sure I liked it.

Here was my advice to Heather a few years ago:|
Heather, I hope this does not sound rude, but how familiar are you with Pinotage? To my palate, Pinotages ARE somewhat stinky. It has Cinsault (sometimes spelled Cinsaut) as a parent, and, boy, does it ever smell and taste it! I think of it as redolent and gamey. Other descriptions are more forgiving.

Hi folks!

Cheers!
Meglioli kits come in a box, not a pail like their more affordable "Original All Juice" kits. The Pinotage does not come with grape skins.

@Brian55 I was told by a rep that all Meglioli, including Pinotage, can have an added grapeskin pack. I don't know what the contents of it are, but may opt out.

As far as the varietals go, my top favorites are Cinsault, Gamay, and Riesling. I have tried a few Pinotages before and I quite enjoyed the South African Winexpert one from a few years back before they discontinued it. Not so much a blind leap of faith, but it is something that can be difficult to find for winemaking purposes!

I have both EC1118 and Bourgovin RC-212 on my rack 24/7 so I will avoid using the champagne yeast as you suggested, CK.

@Brian55 I was told by a rep that all Meglioli, including Pinotage, can have an added grapeskin pack. I don't know what the contents of it are, but may opt out.

As far as the varietals go, my top favorites are Cinsault, Gamay, and Riesling. I have tried a few Pinotages before and I quite enjoyed the South African Winexpert one from a few years back before they discontinued it. Not so much a blind leap of faith, but it is something that can be difficult to find for winemaking purposes!

I have both EC1118 and Bourgovin RC-212 on my rack 24/7 so I will avoid using the champagne yeast as you suggested, CK.
You could certainly add a grape pack, but the Pinotage doesn't come with one.

You could certainly add a grape pack, but the Pinotage doesn't come with one.
Some Meglioli kits from MM come with their bag of grape skins, but not all of them. As per their 2019 brochure, the Pinotage kit doesn't have it. Are they expensive kits? Yes! Are they worth the cost? From my past experiences with Meglioli, yes! But you must be patient.

Latest posts

Back