Quantcast

Meet ups

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Although it's localized, my wife belongs to a baseball forum and they periodically have meet ups. They are a lot of fun with people sharing a common interest. I was wondering if this ever happens with this forum. It appears there are a number of people who communicate on a regular basis but have probably never met. Perhaps you could share where you live and see if anyone has an interest in a local get together.

I'm from the DC area, Northern Va

Hope this is not out of line

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
At the very bottom of the site's page is a forum for competitions, meetups and events. There used to be a good number of folks that met up at Luva Bella in Ohio each spring to pick up juice buckets, have lunch and trade wines. Too far for me, but from the pics I saw, it seemed like it was always a good time.

In the last year or two, a few of us have been meeting up at Harford Vineyard and Winery to pick up grapes/juice, do some bottle exchanges and maybe try some of Harford's wines. I'll be headed back up this fall, but am skipping this Spring's Chilean and South African offerings because I just don't have the container space for more wine right now.

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At the very bottom of the site's page is a forum for competitions, meetups and events. There used to be a good number of folks that met up at Luva Bella in Ohio each spring to pick up juice buckets, have lunch and trade wines. Too far for me, but from the pics I saw, it seemed like it was always a good time........
ROFLMAO, well we kinda got yelled at by the owner's wife on our last meet there so we haven't been there since. But we are overdo for another meet n greet somewhere. Life issues seem to have filled up my days lately but hopefully we can look at another meet n greet soon.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Guess I didn't scroll down enough. Harford seems to be a good meeting place for my (our) region. Ohio is definately not a day trip.
Harford's nice. Really good people, and they have some nice wines. The grapes and juice they get in are of very good quality. It's still about 90 minutes each way, but worth it. I'll often take a Friday off to go get grapes (depending on when they arrive) and get an early start to a weekend of winemaking. :h

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
ROFLMAO, well we kinda got yelled at by the owner's wife on our last meet there so we haven't been there since. But we are overdo for another meet n greet somewhere. Life issues seem to have filled up my days lately but hopefully we can look at another meet n greet soon.
Julie, you listed what you done but no where do you list what you did to the owner's wife that got you yelled at. LOL

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Julie, you listed what you done but no where do you list what you did t, o the owner's wife that got you yelled at. LOL
Well I know there was at least 12 or more of us, I called ahead to let them know we were coming and the date. We have done this in the past. So we all get there and they put us in a private room, bigger than what we needed. So we all order, start talking about wines, oh and before I forget, it was my husbands birthday. Well when we talk we also like to joke around and laugh a lot. In the past Luva has always allowed us to open some of our wines so we did this time, actually the owner has willingly tasted some of our wines. Luva that day got busier than they expected so they opened up the backroom they had us in to other customers. Well there was this family who sat close to us who did not appreciate our laughter. So one joke added to another and one toast after another to my husband Mike and laughter got louder, the guy at the other table complained. So we are all getting ready to leave and Ruth comes up to me and says that we were too loud and we should not have opened any of our wines because Luva could get in trouble for allowing that. So we left, went out into the parking lot, sipped some more, exchanged wines and we all went our happy way. We still like to get together here and there but we have not been back to Luva's since. I believe most of us buy our buckets there but haven't eaten there since. And to add we were always allowed to open our wines in the past.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
I would be open for something like that, but Virginia (at least 7+ hours) and Ohio (at least 8+ hours) are both a bit too far for me.

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
Guess I didn't scroll down enough. Harford seems to be a good meeting place for my (our) region. Ohio is definately not a day trip.
I'm planning on a Harford trip this Spring, but it sounds like a few of the "regulars" have no room at the inn for any more wine. Unless my wife has other plans, I plan on going down on a Saturday morning once Harford emails us when the buckets/grapes will be in. If the weather is unusually beautiful, I might go down on a Friday, especially if my Wife doesn't want to come along (She prefers to go down on a Saturday and I'm usually the designated driver so she can do a morning tasting of their wines).

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on a Harford trip this Spring, but it sounds like a few of the "regulars" have no room at the inn for any more wine. Unless my wife has other plans, I plan on going down on a Saturday morning once Harford emails us when the buckets/grapes will be in. If the weather is unusually beautiful, I might go down on a Friday, especially if my Wife doesn't want to come along (She prefers to go down on a Saturday and I'm usually the designated driver so she can do a morning tasting of their wines).
Let me know when you get a date. I'm waiting for fall grapes so I also have no room but not very far from me.

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
Let me know when you get a date. I'm waiting for fall grapes so I also have no room but not very far from me.
It is usually spread over the last weekend of April and the first weekend in May, unless the weather in Chile has been stranger than normal. I'll post when I get the email.