Measurement Acuracy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Yesterday while I was racking several wines I discovered that the devices I use to measure are all different. We have many measureing cups, all are different and some by a lot. I have miny syringes used to chemicals that are different.

So I went to weighing for acuracy. Much better IMO but how do I know if the scale is true to weight.

Anyone else encounter this? My only thought would be to determine a base weight measurement such as 4 quarters or something standard that I could determine it's true weight then test my scale.

Even being a few drops off will give wrong acid readings.:slp

Yesterday while I was racking several wines I discovered that the devices I use to measure are all different. We have many measureing cups, all are different and some by a lot. I have miny syringes used to chemicals that are different.

So I went to weighing for acuracy. Much better IMO but how do I know if the scale is true to weight.

Anyone else encounter this? My only thought would be to determine a base weight measurement such as 4 quarters or something standard that I could determine it's true weight then test my scale.

Even being a few drops off will give wrong acid readings.:slp

I don't know as I would go with weight as different liquids have different densities.

Steve, this is like coordinating all the clocks around the world! If your wine has been coming out pretty good with the measurement you have been doing and I will attest to it being pretty good why change it now.

Steve, this is like coordinating all the clocks around the world! If your wine has been coming out pretty good with the measurement you have been doing and I will attest to it being pretty good why change it now.

BECAUSE I'M ANAL! Why else. Seriously I would like to get acurate readings on my acids. Plus I started weighing my oak. I have a few variations going to fine the area I really like.

I have a dbl. batch of Vignoles going and one has american oak while the other french.

The various measuring cups now explain why I was getting different gravity readings with the addition of sugar. It's just frustrating sometimes.

but that is what makes wine making so interesting when it doesn't come out the same everytime!

Holy Moley, Steve if you ever come over while I'm making wine I hope it's after I measure and add ingredients. Does your wife allow you in the kitchen when she's cooking?

BECAUSE I'M ANAL! Why else. Seriously I would like to get acurate readings on my acids. Plus I started weighing my oak. I have a few variations going to fine the area I really like.

I have a dbl. batch of Vignoles going and one has american oak while the other french.

The various measuring cups now explain why I was getting different gravity readings with the addition of sugar. It's just frustrating sometimes.

Being really anal myself, I can appreciate what you're going through. Maybe this will help you:
http://www.algen.com/calibration.htm

Easy - just buy yourself an ounce or two of gold and use that for your calibration!!

Being really anal myself, I can appreciate what you're going through. Maybe this will help you:
http://www.algen.com/calibration.htm

That's a start but a little pricey. My scale is for small weights. Grams/ounces. Perfect. I used it originally for measuring sugar for my champagne. Can't miss measure there.

Dugger [Easy - just buy yourself an ounce or two of gold and use that for your calibration!! ]

I put my mutual funds on ther but it didn't work out right.

As far as measuring powders, I always weigh my sugar. Using the same scale all the time will ensure like results. Same with meauring other items. I use the same set of measuring spoons therefore resulting in something being constant. Liquids are a luck of the draw when it comes to syringes, they are set up for medical uses so the accuracy there is in the hands of the user. I'm sure there are more accurate tools out there but as long as the measurment source remains constant, results should be similar.

Take your quarters to a local pharmacist and ask them to weigh it for you. Then take them home and test your scale. Thimk.

Merry Christmas

ffment is right. Whether its measurements or weight, stick to using the same cups or scales and you should be all right. Don't get too uptight about it. Just work with what you've got and when it comes to the final result, sniff it, sip it, roll it round your tongue, spit and evalute. What does it matter if you are .25pp less than what someone else considers perfect.
YOU and your tastebuds are what count. The perfect wine has yet to be made.

Just for the record, being English, I prefer weight.
Relax and enjoy your hobby.

Regards to all, Happy New Year, Winemanden. :hny2

Latest posts

Back